Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    losael Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 05:40 AM
    Static on Telephone Line
    Hi I have what I think is static noises on my cordless telephone. The noise is like rushing air but it's very loud. Because of this noise I have just replaced my old phones with new phones (2). The new phones are recommended as 'Best Buys' by Which Magazine so I'm pretty sure that they are not part of the problem. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this? I am not technically minded so if you do have any ideas I'd really appreciate simple layman type suggestions. Thank you!
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Dec 30, 2008, 10:16 AM
    It may be interference from another wireless device. Do you have a wireless router or other wireless devices? Cordless phones operate on several common radio frequency bands - 46/49 MHz. 900 MHz. 2.4 GHz. and 5.8 GHz. The last two coincide with those used by wireless computer devices. Labeling on the phone should indicate which frequency it uses. Obtaining phones that use a different band from the computer devices, 900 MHz. or 5.8 GHz. Preferable, is the solution.

Other possibilities:
    • The noise you describe can also occur when using the phone near the limit of its distance range from its base.
    • The line itself may have a problem. Connect a non-cordless phone and see if the issue persists.
    losael Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 08:06 AM

Thanks Scleros - I have found out that it is the front of the BT box that is at fault. I removed the front of the plug-in box and plugged my telephone directly into the wall socket and the noise vanished. BT have said it will cost £113 to send someone out to sort it out so I am changing my line, telephone and broadband service provider and I'm going to repair it myself. Thank you for your swift response. losael
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by losael View Post
    Thank you for your swift response. losael
    You're welcome. Also note that if the BT box you are referring to is our (U.S.) equivalent of a NID (Network Interface Device), and plugging a phone into the customer test jack resolved the issue, the inside premise wiring is likely the source of the trouble and a new carrier and line may not resolve the issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Static Dress [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new dress but it is really static so is sticking to me really badly and is not very nice! How can I stop it? Help :confused:

Static sound through TV [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 12 yr old RCA TV/VHS combo unit. I have a cable box and a DVD player connected to it. When I watch TV through the cable box or play a VHS tape I have no problem hearing through the internal speakers ( I have no external speakers hooked up). When I turn on the DVD player and switch the...

Can't plug in the telephone line. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My sister bought a used PC.. the CPU has no slot for plugging in the telephone line. Is there anything we can add/replace in order to plug in the tel. line? Thanks.

Static sound through TV [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! We have a fairly old TV (brand name Classic?) that was bought overseas. We just recently moved and now we are hearing a fairly faint (but very annoying) static sound. We hear the sound when using the television speakers, as well as when using external speakers. When we play a DVD using...

View more questions Search