Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    13sldr Posts: 237, Reputation: 17

Dec 30, 2008, 12:10 AM
    Possible carear path?
    I have just recently learned about a job in the Air Force that I have become interested in, it is called Office of Special Intelligants(OSI) the job requires you to be in for 3years and have no criminal background such as DUI or under the age drinking. But along with that is it is undercover work(for those of you that don't know about that job) I would be moving approx. every 6months and doing other things to keep my true idenity hiden. Which sounds fun and all but the only problem is if I did decied to follow that path I wouldn't be able to have a family because I would be moving so much.

I know this is my decision and I know I have to make it, I am fully awear of that, but I just need some input. Should this be something I should give up possibly having a family and what not(for 17 years give or take)? I have always said my country comes before anything else. So should I think more about following that path?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 30, 2008, 12:40 AM

Sounds to me to be a pretty serious job, 13. Exactly how old are you ? What special training do you have for this job which sounds like surrveillance work of some kind. If that is your picture in your avatar, I don't think showing yourself like that would be appropriate in the long run for the type of position in the armed forces you are contemplating as, I understand, secrecy would be tantamount to your eventual position.

Dec 30, 2008, 12:45 AM

I am 18, yes that is me, as far as pre-recs for the job I don't think there is really any and for any traing I will get the training I need when it comes time
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 30, 2008, 12:48 AM
    Sounds like a really intense job. However, you would have to be assigned to this job, you just can't pick it. After your testing and basic, you will be assigned a MOS (job), the MOS isn't always what you want it to be.
    complicatedlife Posts: 31, Reputation: 5

Dec 30, 2008, 01:45 AM

If you go you will never have a love life?

No kids, and when your older you will be along because you never made a family? Is that what you want to me alone when you are in your last years of your life! If your heart is that strong go for it but if you think you can't live without love don't do it!

Dec 30, 2008, 11:30 AM

That is were the problem lies, I would love to have a family and contiue my family name and be a better father than my dad but at the same time, my country comes first, I would only be doing it for 17 years then I would retire (17 years pluse the 3 years I have to be in the AF before I can apply making it 20years all together. But then I plan to get out and join the FBI but I don't know how easy it will be for me have a family then, I don't really know a lot about the FBI. But if I can that will make me 39 possibly 40?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2008, 01:16 PM

Some things to consider. If you test high enough to be considered for the Air Force (might want to work on your spelling ;-) then you will have to test and qualify for that particular rate or MOS or whatever the AF calls it. Then if you are assigned to the Office of Special Intelligence, you would have to work towards being an undercover agent.

They're not going to run you through 8 weeks of basic and 12 weeks of school then throw you undercover. I would imagine it would take years before you would be given that kind of responsibility.

I had an uncle that was a spook for years. No one in the family knew about it until after he had retired. He lead a normal life and had a wife and kids. We all believed he was a regional sales director that traveled a lot. It is an unusual lifestyle, but it doesn't necessarily mean you have to live a lonely life.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 30, 2008, 03:51 PM

The OIS job is a lot better if you go to college ROTC and go in as a second Lt into it. The pay is better and you investigate a lot higher up things.

Most OSI do not use rank on their ID and are called MR when they do open investigations, that way there is no rank issue when talking to other officers.

It is hard work, you work a regular job, perhaps in motor pool, perhaps in a office and have to do that real job on top of talking to workers after hours and trying to get into something, if there is something to find. So you will be working 24/7, no time for anything really.

It can be fun for a year or two, but really sucks if you find and fall in love.
    Esp if her dad turns out to be one of the head criminals you are looking for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Right path? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Can you tell me if I'm doing the right thing in disrupting my relationship with a male friend of mine? Like, what would be the probable outcome of this relationship if I try to keep it through the next year? Thank you very much for your help on this Salamander

Career Path [ 1 Answers ]

I have one and a half year experience in Siebel Functional Testing plus 6 months internship in Siebel technology(completed a project during internship).Worked on CRM and PRM modules. What type of career prospects I have ?

Going down the same path? [ 5 Answers ]

Okay so I ended a relationship with a guy about a year ago.. We were together for almost 2 years and lived together and were practically perfect for each other, or so I thought. Growing up I lived with a single mom who lived paycheck to paycheck and couldn't ever afford much. I got my first job...

View more questions Search