Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xomilonox Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Possible punishment for 19 yr. old boy with 17 yr.old girl who is now pregnant in N.J
    My daughter is temporarily in foster care due to a complication pertaining to my health, she is pregnant, the father is 19 yrs. Old, she is 17 1/2 yrs.old, she wants to keep the baby and move back with me as soon as we get through the court system the boy has a job goes to college and is a decent young man . Will he be charged for this? What are their options?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xomilonox View Post
    My daughter is temperarily in foster care due to a complication pertaining to my health, she is pregnant, the father is 19 yrs. old, she is 17 1/2 yrs.old, she wants to keep the baby and move back with me as soon as we get through the court system the boy has a job goes to college and is a decent young man . Will he be charged for this? What are their options?

Are you pressing criminal charges against him? Is the foster care system filing charges on her behalf?

If not, no, he won't be charged.

I don't understand why you have to go through a court system if she was removed from your care because, due to your health, you are unable to care for her.

Is there another part of this puzzle?
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xomilonox View Post
    My daughter is temperarily in foster care due to a complication pertaining to my health, she is pregnant, the father is 19 yrs. old, she is 17 1/2 yrs.old, she wants to keep the baby and move back with me as soon as we get through the court system the boy has a job goes to college and is a decent young man . Will he be charged for this? What are their options?
    The age of consent in NJ is 16 so it doesn't seem like he will get in any legal trouble.

I hope he's a good guy like you said and will take care of his child.
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2008, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    The age of consent in NJ is 16 so it doesn't seem like he will get in any legal trouble.

I hope he's a good guy like you said and will take care of his child.

OP has to also remember that it's not the ages of the parties now that matters. If underage sexual activity was reported and verified it's the ages when the activity began that matters - particularly in a foster care situation when (in most cases) the parties are interviewed.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2009, 08:13 PM

Yes if she got pregnant at 15 he could be in trouble.
    Someone, even if it is the dr/hospital, would have to press the issue though.
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    yes if she got pregnant at 15 he could be in trouble.
    Someone, even if it is the dr/hospital, would have to press the issue though.

I was thinking also along the lines of someone taking a medical or emotional history of the girl and having her blurt out that she's been in a sexual relationship for X number of years - at which point the person doing the history calls in CPS. This girl is in foster care already so the system is looking at her.

OP never came back with more info so I don't know why she can't care for her child (the prospective mother).
    truthxbextold Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Jan 24, 2009, 08:35 PM

If age of concent is 16 then does that mean that she can wed then or she can have sex then without being able to charge someone with statuatory rape?
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2009, 12:37 PM

Since she's 16 in order to get married she'll need parental consent. Otherwise she has to wait until she's 18.

Age of consent is 16 which means she can engage in sexual activity with someone her age or, in most states, with someone no more than a 4 year age gap of her age. So if she was to have sex with a guy that is 21 or older charges can be brought up against that person.

However you can view your state law on this matter. Just Google it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my girl friend pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

I Am Very Scared Myself I Had Unprotected Sex With My Girlfriend And It Got A Little Uncomfortable So Five Minutes Later We Stopped I Didn't Get Anywhere Near Ejactulation But For Some Reason Im Still Worried That She Might Get Pregnant, Should I Be Worried?

My pregnant girl who needs to get away from her parents [ 2 Answers ]

I am 18 years old I have a 16 year old girlfriend we life with her parents in florence ky her parents won't let her get married and she is pregnant her step father molested her when she was little and we don't want that to happen to our baby the parents won't let us get married I was just wondering...

I am an 18 year old pregnant girl, what do I do? [ 7 Answers ]

Let me start from the beginning, if you don't mind. I was 15 when I met this guy, and we have been together through thick and thin, ever since. We smoked pot and played guitar together in a band. I really love him and he really loves me. We have had plans about getting married. But he is a jerk...

Boyfriend may have another girl pregnant [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I of 4 years split up for about 3 months. In the mean time he had sex with somebody and now she is saying she might be pregnant. If she is what do I do? :(

Pregnant? Boy or Girl? [ 3 Answers ]

I found this forum & find it very interesting! SO I thought I would ask a question for all of you psychics & fortune tellers! My husband & I have been trying to conceive our second child & we have had to go on some fertility medicine. My birthdate is 8/11/78 & his is 10/12/79 - how long till we...

View more questions Search