Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2121soindeeptrouble Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2006, 12:42 PM
    Help! I cosigned for my father
    First of all, I appreciate any advice you can give me.
    I cosigned for my father in 2001 for an unsecured personal loan for $11,000. He was paying and the balance was down to $8434.00 He lost his job and was unable to pay so he filed bankruptcy in 2003. The lender tried to contact me a few times to collect, but at the time, I, too was unable to pay anything. Now, 3 years later, I was turned in to a collections agency and they are now demanding $9000 on their first letter to me. I didn't reply until
    Their 2nd letter reducing the balance down to $6900. I sent them a letter today telling them to provide me proof that I owe this debt. I did this to buy some time and think things through. I cannot pay this much. Will I get sued? If so, will I also be liable to pay for court and legal costs? Help, help, help! I am downright depressed... :(
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2006, 01:08 PM
    Yes, you could be sued. Generally, co-signer agreements mean the debtors (you and your father) are responsible "jointly and severally", which means they can pursue either or both of you for the money... and since he's filed bankruptcy, that leaves only you for them to pursue.

Sorry to pass along the bad news.

I suggest you continue to negotiate with them to see if they'll let you make payments on the settlement amount they're offering.

And if they do agree to payments on the lesser amount, get it in writing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 17, 2006, 04:35 PM
    Sorry this happened. Since your father filed bankruptcy, they can not longer go after him, but since you co-signed the loan, they can go after you for the full amount due plus late fees and collection fees allowed by law and/or the contract.

They can sue you in court to get a judgement, if you indeed signed for this loan, then yes they will win. Once they have a judgement they can ask for a attachment (freeze) your bank account, and also ask for a garnishment of your paycheck ( 25 to 50 percent)

So it would be in your benefit to try and work some payment plan out with them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

He's not my father [ 11 Answers ]

At the beginning of the year, I found out that my Dad is not my father. I am 42 years old and am the 5th children to my parents. My older brother told me that my Dad confessed this to him after his stroke. I have suspected for several years that I wasn't his child after my mother told me about...

Bad father... what do I do?who will help me? [ 2 Answers ]

I am very new to this. I do not know if this will help but I will give it a shot. I feel that I need to speak to the world about my problems and receive help. The relation between my father and I is very distant. Although we live in the same house, we don't seem to communicate well. I only...

Who is most likely the father? [ 25 Answers ]

I was separated from my husband and in an early relationship with someone else. Well I was and am still in love with my husband and we slept together a couple of days and I am now pregnant. The problem is I also kind of slept with my boyfriend the next day. It was for about 10 minutes there was no...

Should I tell the father? [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, well I've asked questions here before, but now I know for sure that I am pregnant and I'm 17, soon to be a senior in high school. The father doesn't know about the baby because he was abusive both physically and mentally. I have been told that I don't legally have to tell the father but I'm...

View more questions Search