Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    felicity39 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Wage garnishment after 8 years
    In 2001 I was sent summons for judgment for a car that was repoed in 1998. I did not know what to do at time and was scared, I set up payment plan with collector and did not go to court, I made about 3 payments in 2001. I have not paid them since. After 7 years I just recv a summons of garmishment for 12,000. They have not contacted my work yet and there is no garnishment # on the summons, it only states the amount of judgement, judgement # and my employers name. What should I do at this time and is it possible for me to file a traverse on the grounds I never knew about the judgment. Nothing from mazda, primus (the plantiff) or the law office debt collector has ever been on my credit report. Thanks for your help!!
    comingupforair Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 09:05 AM
    felicity39,

There is a statute of limitations on debts, but I believe it varies from state to state.
    Perhaps you should go to a law website for your state and see what it says.

I don't know what "filing a transverse" is, so I'm probably not much help. Can you find the money to get advice from a lawyer? I think that might be your safest bet.

In my area there is a free legal service called "Northwest Justice Project". Is there anything like that in your area? Maybe they could advise you.

Just my thoughts. I'm certainly no expert. (Only by virtue of being in debt myself) :o

Good luck :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 25, 2009, 09:24 AM

Ok, first you DID know about the judgement. You admit that you got a summons and negotiated a payment plan and did not go to court. So I doubt if you can use lack of knowledge about the summons.

Second, Statute of Limitations is not an issue here. First, the suit was filed in 2001 after a 1998 repo. And you restarted the SOL by making payments.

So basically you are stuck. I'm surprised they sent a notice of garnishment to you before your employer, but I can't see anyway of stopping it short of paying in full. I doubt if they will negotiate a payment plan since you already renenged on one.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 10:29 AM

A few states ( such as TN) you have to notify the person prior to a garnishment.

But I would "assume" that when you did a payment plan, there was a default judgement awarded, they had court, without you, So of course had you merely paid as promised nothing would have happened.

You can go to court and find out when the judgement was awarded and what method of service was used
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Jan 25, 2009, 01:05 PM

Yes and remember that with a judgement there will be interest until it is paid in full

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wage garnishment or bank account garnishment? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Where do I start? I was looking up my name in my local county court records because I'm paying off a debt of 800 plus interest that I do NOT owe. I saw that a judgement was entered for 10x that amount for a voluntary repo on a lease vehicle back in August of 2002. Luckily, I was in the...

Wage garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

How can I stop a garnishment on my wages if I have been paying the agreed amount every month and they still plan to garnish my wages

Wage garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

I work as an independent contractor. Can my wages be garnished?

Wage Garnishment [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, my name is cottle and I just received a letter for a wag garnshment from 12 years ago. My question is can they garnish my wages for something that is 12 years old, It was for furniture that was $450 and they saying I owe them $789. Can they do that.

Wage garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

Recently a creditor optaind a judgement against me and my husband, and now they are garnishing his wages. Should we have been notified they were going to garnish his before. Now I can't afford to pay our regular bills, normal living expences. Is there anything I can do now?:confused: :confused:

View more questions Search