Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dr_mcginty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Sued for Credit Debt
    I am being sued for a credit card from 2001 from Utah. The original limit was $500, they are trying to sue for over $2000. What can I do? Is this legal?
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Dec 29, 2008, 10:30 AM

Hello

Well the sol's may come into play.Check your state's laws on unsecured debt{credit card] Now with that being said, even though the sols
    May prevent them from taking legal action against you. You morally owe it, You borrowed and didn't pay it back. As far as the amount, the late fees ,interest,etc it could well have gone to $2000 Did you not receive any thing from them in the last 7 years?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 30, 2008, 11:05 AM

A debt of 500 can very easy to 2000 with late payment fees, interest, attorney fees and now court fees added in.

You will need to see if the SOL for your state has expired, they can not win a case if it has, you merely bring that up at the hearing. It will be form the date of last activity, so the last payment made will far into play.
    NASCAR_Devil Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2008, 10:24 AM

SOL in UT is 6 years

Utah Code -- Title 70A -- Chapter 09a -- Uniform Commercial Code - Secured Transactions

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served a summons/being sued for credit card debt/first time being sued [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served a summons by first class mail of a lawsuit against me by an asset collection agency on behalf of a credit card company. The asset company has purchased the debt,in an amount just over $1000. My question is how do I proceed as I have never been sued before. I currently am...

Sued for credit card debt in tx [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: I live in Texas I think I am getting ready to be sued by a debt collector. It is citibank. I missed the processor and I'm sure they will make another attempt to deliver the order. I know wages cannot be garnished in Texas; however, I am concerned about bank seizure or a frozen...

Being Sued over Credit Card Debt [ 5 Answers ]

I am being sued over credit card debt(4000.00). The papers say that if you don't file an answer by a certain date a judgement will be issued against you. What does this mean? What will happen if I just ignore it. I am in Texas.

I am being sued for a credit card debt. [ 7 Answers ]

I am now in the stages were I have 35 days to file an answer. My debt has more then doubled since it was charged off 4 years ago. The new balance is now at $4,700. I have received no proof of accounting from the debt collector who is an Attorney. I did send them a dispute letter asking how they...

View more questions Search