Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnima Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 08:30 AM
    "string" of outlets
    In my family room I have a series of 3 outlets that run along the wall. The 1st outlet has a timer connected to a table lamp. The second outlet has 4 strings of XMAS lights connected to it. The 3rd outlet has our television, DVD player, and satellite receiver connected to it. In the evening everything was turned on and operating. About 3 hours into the evening, everything went off that was plugged into the 2nd and 3rd outlets. No circuit breaker tripped. Thgis morning I turned the dial on the lamp timer and everything came on.

Is there some way to "increase" the power to the 2 outlets at the end of this run? Should I run a new circuit to handle the A/V equipment? Is that something I can do myself or do I need to call a pro?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 29, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Very common problem.

Check the connections on all the receptacles on this circuit, especially the one where the lamp is plugged in. You will likely find the wires just stuck in the quick-wire holes in the back. These connections routinely fail or give intermittent connections. By touching the lamp timer you are moving the device slightly. I bet if you wiggle the receptacle you can simulate the problem.

You should either move all the connections to the screw terminals on the sides of the receptacles, or replace them all using the screws, which is what I would recommend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intertherm Electric Furnace Blower works in "on" not in "auto" [ 6 Answers ]

I have an Intertherm Electric Furnace E2EB-015AH. I came home from work last night, turned the heat on and it didn't work as advertised. I could hear the relays clicking occasionally so I investigated a little and found the elements are heating up and cycling, the relay inside the thermostat cycles...

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

Electrical outlets "loose" [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I recently purchased a 16 year-old home. Great house, but we've noticed that when we plug anything into any of the electrical outlets, the plugs don't want to stay in firmly, they just hang there loosely. Is there anything we can do to remedy the situation?

View more questions Search