Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adeune Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2008, 08:28 PM
    1979 dodge truck charging too much
    The voltage output on my truck is 18 volts. I had the alternator checked and replaced the regulator. Still 18 volts. Any ideas
    aaron2044 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2008, 09:17 PM

Dash cluster is out a waack
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2008, 09:30 PM

Look for a corroded bulkhead connector on the alternator circuit. Nasty one to find.
    Tahltan Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Dec 30, 2008, 05:13 PM
    Just a question?

Is this 18V from a dash meter or from a multimeter at the battery?

A quick check also is run a wire from your alt housing mounting bolt to your battery -----GROUND ----clamp. Make sure wire is not routed near any rotating or hot parts. Check at battery to see if it settles down.

Like KISS said bulkhead and also check your ground strap to the frame!
    murilloman Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 07:33 PM
    Make sure your voltage regulator makes good ground with the firewall. Remove regulator from firewall and use sandpaper to clean back of regulator and firewall. Screw back in place. Check cab is grounded. Ground straps corrode after many years. Also check if getting voltage to and from regulator. I had a break in the copper inside a wire to the regulator, wire looked good on the outside. Regulator wasn't getting a signal to stop charging. Old Dodges have reliable charging systems. I still drive them. Carry a spare in the glove box along with ballast resistor and ignition module. Can even install spares under the hood and switch wires when you have to.
    Keep on trucking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1991 Dodge Ram Charging System [ 10 Answers ]

I am looking for a wiring diagram for the charging system on a 1991 Dodge Ram with a 360 engine. Please help? Thanks:)

Dodge charging problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1991 dodge pickup with a 318. And I keep having the alternators going out within a week after putting it on and I can't figure out what's causing the problem. So can someone help me out here

1979 dodge truck wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Bought 79 dodge truck runs great.but ballast and wires get hot with key on. When running burns out voltage reg. new alt, volt. reg. starter, electronic ign. Mode. New hot and ground cables been over entire truck can't find short any where. When running amp gage goes clear over to c and battery...

81 Dodge Ram-Alt. Not charging batt. [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 1981 Dodge Ram Pick up and the battery is not receiving a charge from the alternator. We replaced the alternator three times and they have all been checked and we were told all are good. So we know the alternator is working. Also the battery is good, but it is not being recharged. Also...

View more questions Search