Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2006, 12:07 AM
    Tenant rights to there possessions after eviction in N.J.
    Hi, let me repost this question right. We were legally evicted by the courts. We where not given a chances to bring anything with us when the courts came to the door and, said we had 15 min. to leave. We where not aloud back for another week, our landlord made us wait because he was on va-ka. When we came back to move our things out we only got half way done because he called the cops and told them we were trespassing, we were not aloud to be there and we where remove again without our stuff we had a moving van on its way, we have 3 voice mail recordings of him calling to confirm that day. I was still arrested and charged with trespassing and criminal mischief. Know he says he keeping our things, is this legal?
    Thanks Steve
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2006, 03:25 AM
    It sounds like the proper steps were not taken for the eviction. In my state the Bailiff is required to be present to set the tenant's possessions out.

What state are you in?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 17, 2006, 04:46 PM
    No, in apartments, they can not keep your belongings, to set them out at eviction ( and they have to allow you in and out until you are legally evicted, they can't just lock your out and can not call the police on you if you enter back into the house until you are legally evicted.

** some exceptions in some areas for weekly type rentals, and in the motel long term rentals.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant won't leave [ 7 Answers ]

I have a tenant with a month to month lease. He has not paid rent in 3 months. He has been served with 3 day notice and 30 day notice. He has since physically left, moved into hotel. But all belongings are still here. I have not gotten the keys back. How long must I wait to remove his stuff. Do I...

Leasing Tenant evicting another Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

What is required by the court in the state of Michigan for a listed Tenant to Evict a non listed Tenant on a lease/land contract when the non listed Tenant pays the monthly rent, and all utilities are in non listed tenants name at the residents and both have been a resident from day one and the...

Tenant [ 4 Answers ]

My question is in New Hampshire deposit law.We moved out,had house cleaned,painted walls and door jams.We gave them 30+days notice.I took pictures but forgot news paper,opps.We have been out for 1 month,but no return of deposit.We have called 3 times,no response.We were told they are having Home...

Tenant [ 2 Answers ]

Does landlord have to actually give you 30 days for eviction or is it automatic?

View more questions Search