Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    evsaranzak Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2006, 11:29 PM
    Information on "Hardship Withdrawal" from Retirement Plan
    :confused: My husband who is 44 yrs old just lost his job & is having a hard time finding another one. He worked for this company for about 2 1/2 years & has accumulated a little money in his retirement account.

The only money we currently have coming in is my child support which is a far cry from what we need monthly to pay the bills on our house that I inherited from my parents. We also have 2 minor children.

We have no money put aside. My question is would cashing out his retirement account for the above said reasons be considered a hardship withdrawal? We desperately need money for our bills along with everyday necessities. As far as taxes & penalties go--what makes a hardship withdrawal different from just cashing in the IRA?

Thank you--I would appreciate more than words can say any information that you can give us. Thanks again, Evelyn:(
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Jul 22, 2006, 02:02 PM
    Evelyn,
    I do not believe your situation would qualify to avoid the penalties. The type of IRA is important. Traditional IRA: taxes and penalties apply. ROTH IRA: you can withdraw your contributions, but not any gain, without paying taxes.

Walt
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 22, 2006, 06:07 PM
    While it may appear to you that there is a hardship, it does not appear to be covered under IRS rules. Check with the admins of the account.

There is also some confusion in yoiur use of terms. IRAS are not company accounts. They are individual accounts. Also you don't mention the type of retirement account. Defined Benefit plans rarely vest before 5 years. Defined Contribution plans like 401Ks can accumulate money immediately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Looking/wanting information about "Clucosamine" [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there! My boyfriend started taking Clucosamine for pain in his joints, mainly his elbo. What information can you give me about this (Clucosamine)? What are the pro's & con's? Thank you in advance for any help you may have. :)

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

View more questions Search