Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rvlec Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Dec 28, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Heat doesn't work on 1987 chev camaro
    My brother-in-law has a 87 camaro and the heat doesn't work. It has a new thermostat, both top and bottom hoses are same temperature after the car warms up, doesn't seem to be a problem with the heater core. I noticed the other day that when he moves the tempertature control from 'cold' to 'heat' there is a cable under the dash on the passenger side that moves. It looks like it shoulc be connected to something but I can't tell what. Any ideas?
    lilsnell8 Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2008, 01:27 PM

There is a door under the dash and that cable should hook up to it. It's a door just like the door on a icecube machine on a refrigerator so just reach under there and pull it down you should feel heat connect the cable to it also
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2008, 02:22 PM

There are basically two ways that temperature control works. The cable controls a valve on the heater core or a damper. This must use a damper.

Vacuum usually controls the mode of the system or where the air gets discharged.
    Tahltan Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Dec 30, 2008, 05:58 PM
    First is the cable flexing or acutally moving?

If it is moving along the length it is not secured. Which might be just simply slid the cable housing into a slot or tighten a little bolt and clamp the cable down again.

If it is secured cable just flexing then undo and try moving the handle or attachment point of cable end. If you get heat then adjust the cable to full heat on dashboard and full heat on damper and tighten cable hold downs or cable end depending on the specific system you have.

If no adjustment is possible at either end of cable then buy a new cable.

Ps: you can always try a penatring oil on the cable might be just lightly seized and not moving fully
    teach34181 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 01:16 PM

I think the heater core is shot. Tell him/ner to lift the carpet on the passenger side and see if it's wet there. Do the widows fog? If so, have heater core replaced.
    Rvlec Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Jan 4, 2009, 06:41 PM

The windows don't fog and he has checked to see if the carpet is wet. No sign that the heater core is bad. Could the heater core just be 'clogged'?
    Tahltan Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jan 4, 2009, 07:21 PM

If both hoses from heater core are the same temp hot then the core is good.

If the cable is not hooked up then it will not move the heater control flow valve.

Check to see if any of the damper doors or vavles move.

If they not moving they are not working.

I did work on older truck with same prob not heat. I removed both heat core hoses from eng and water pump and ran water from garden hose backwards through the system.

I have run into plastic bags plugging up the hose as someone let it get into the rad core... Don't ask me how... I just fix it.

Good luck
    ddollinger Posts: 145, Reputation: 12

Jan 5, 2009, 02:28 PM
    This is a common problem. Take it to a mechanic and have them "reverse flush" the cooling system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1987 chevy camaro 5 speed trani front seats [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1987 chevy camaro with a 5 speed trani and I need two front seats I have a head light assemble and I need a 2.8L v6(173 cu.in.) engine because the one that is in the car has seized up. Is there anyone or do you know any body that has these two parts for a good price?thanks for your help

Heat work but ac doesn't [ 3 Answers ]

I have installed a Hunter Programmable Thermostat model 44660. The heating works fine, but the A/C does not work. According to the display, the air is running, but nothing is coming out of the vents. While I know that the wiring colors are not always 100% accurate, I have the wiring set up as...

A/C working, switched to heat, now ac and heat don't work [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Replaced my thermostat in the summer, everything worked good,switched the new thermostat to heat for the first time, now neither the A/C or heat work? Any Ideas? Andy

Car Heat and A/C Won't Work [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 1997 Ford Taurus. Yesterday, when I turned on the A/C, it didn't turn on. No blower, maybe some cold air? nothing. Then, after turning the dial several times, it DID turn on. Now, as of today, nada, zilch. No A/C and no heat. No blower either. What is broken, do you think? Do I need a...

AC or Heat does not work when switching to AC or Heat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a programmable thermostate installed a year ago and it has been working since until a few days ago. Both AC and Heat don't work , I don't hear any kicking. I did a reset on the thermostate did not make any difference. The fan is on Auto. Now I am interested in knowing if it is the...

View more questions Search