Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelz921 Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Dec 28, 2008, 10:38 AM
    Buying a home at a Tax Deed Auction
    My husband and I are looking at purchasing a home at a Tax Deed Auction here in Florida. And have a few questions about what happens when it's all over. If a home is one after the bidding process when can we take ownership of the home i.e. get into the property and start remodeling and so on?

If there are vehicles in the garage of the home would we have ownership of these as well?

When we will be able to move into the property?

Thanks so much!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 28, 2008, 02:03 PM

Florida has a two year redemption period, what you get at the auction is a tax certificate, you hold it for two years and continue to pay the tax on it. If they want it back they have to pay you what you paid plus 18 percent interest ( I think) After 2 years you can file to get the deed on the property. After you do that, you would have to serve the people living there with eviction notice and follow eviction laws.

Dec 28, 2008, 02:59 PM

There is no one living there, the house has been abandoned for two years. So that's one thing I don't have to worry about.

Is there anyway around that 2 year thing?

Dec 28, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Florida Statute 197.562 states that: “Any person, firm, corporation, or county that is the grantee of any tax deed
    under this law shall be entitled to the immediate possession of the lands described in the deed. If demand for
    possession is refused, the purchaser may apply to the Circuit Court for a writ of assistance upon 5 days’ notice
    directed to the person refusing to deliver possession. Upon service of the responsive pleadings, if any, the matter
    shall proceed as in chancery cases. If the court finds for the applicant, an order shall be issued by the court
    directing the sheriff to put the grantee in possession of the lands.”

Wouldn't this apply in my current situation?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying a home ? [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone who is self-employed and on Supplementary Security Income buy a home ?

Buying back real estate after it is sold at public auction [ 3 Answers ]

Is is possible for a homeowner to buy back their home after they defaulted on bankruptcy terms and their house was sold at public auction? Are there exceptions to buying back foreclosed properties outside of the upset bid process after the property was sold at public auction?

Foreclosure - home for auction [ 21 Answers ]

Hello... I found a house that I am interested in that will be auctioned off next Monday. Can I call the trustee and make them an offer? What steps do I need to do? Also, I read that if the house goes into auction there will be little to no time for me to do a titel search. Besides...

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

View more questions Search