Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BAMF Posts: 50, Reputation: 2

Dec 28, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Meaning of Quote!
    One way to open your eyes to unnoticed beauty is to ask yourself, ‘What if I had never seen this before? What if I knew I would never see it again?’”
    —Rachel Carson

Just say how you feel about this quote. How does this relate to an issue of concern to you?
    Pleasee and Thank you. :]
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2008, 09:57 AM
    The quote is about taking things for granted. Because Carson's writings usually focus on nature, I think she is speaking to our disregard for the environment. Although it can be applied to anything.

I assume this is a homework assignment - so why don't we relate it to something in your life...

The issue of concern in your life is getting into Williams College. "What if I had never see this before?" What was your reaction the first time you saw it? You took in all the details and fell in love with it.

"What if I knew I would never see it again?" You appreciate the school because there is a chance that they will not admit you. If you knew all along that you did not have to apply and that you could just show up whenever you wanted, would you still value it as much as you do now? I don't think so.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 04:04 AM

Hi, BAMF!

I'm wondering why you're asking the questions about quotes. If you wouldn't mind explaining, it would be helpful.

Thanks!
    BAMF Posts: 50, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2009, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, BAMF!

I'm wondering why you're asking the questions about quotes. If you wouldn't mind explaining, it would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Well it was for school but I already wrote the essay. I don't know, I guess I was just wondering what other people thought about it. :]
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 06:33 PM

I agree with JJ.

So often we take the simplistic beautiful things in life for granted. Sunsets, trees swaying in the breeze, the smile of a baby, an elderly couple walking hand in hand...

I think the quote is a reminder to appreciate more, complain less, and focus on what is really important in life, rather than what we can get out of it.

Great question!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to quote job? [ 3 Answers ]

My girlfriend, who estimates insurance claims for homes and then is the project manager when she subs all the work out, has asked me to be her painter because she knows I do excellent work. So, I just finished painting two different jobs for her that required a lot more time and effort than she...

Meaning of Macbeth Quote [ 1 Answers ]

In Scene 2, Macbeth describes his surroundings by saying. "Light thickens, and the crow/ Makes wing to th' rooky wood." How can these remarks also be seen as a metaphorical commentary on the events of the play?

Quote Meaning? [ 4 Answers ]

What does this quote mean by Abraham Lincoln? " Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"

Anyone know this quote? [ 2 Answers ]

I heard a quote the other day that I liked and now I forgot it and where I heard it. It goes something like this There's the truth... (something like opinions or lies), and (something to do with opinion census being worse than lies?) I'm sorry but I have very little info on it. There's 3...

Looking for a quote [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for a quote that says the same thing as, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Thanks.

View more questions Search