Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glhasse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2006, 08:54 PM
    3-way switch with 2-wire cable
    We just bought a new house, and after painting, I've been replacing all the outlets and switches.

As I was replacing a couple of 3-way switches, I saw that the previous owners used just 2-wire cable between the 3-way switches, using the bare ground as the traveller wire. This is obviously not right, and is just one in a series of many DIY things that they did wrong. We are suing the sellers because of all their DIY mistakes and non-disclosure of preexisting problems.

The question is this -- is there a National Electric Code standard that would address this problem that our lawyer could site?

Also, how dangerous is this? Should I disconnect the fixture and go to just a single switch? I'll run new wires when I can, but will have to pull down the sheetrock to do so.

Thanks.
    Greg
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2006, 09:29 PM
    I am not an electrician so I can't help you with that prat of your question, but I have a suggestion on how to replace the wire with three wire. Instead of pulling down some sheetrock maybe you could plow some trenches in the rock where the wires will run and then patch them over... just a suggestion...
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2006, 03:29 AM
    The specific edition of the National Electric Code that is adopted and in effect in your state must be determined. This can be found by contacting any local electrical inspector, or by contacting the State agency which regulates electrical installations in your state.

I have handy, and use the 2002 edition in my State. The 2005 edition may be in effect in your State. There are minor differences between the two, however, both will remain constant on those Articles and Sections that have not changed.

Article 110- Requirements for Electrical Installations
    Section 110.3-Examination, Identification, Installation, and use of Equipment, should cover this situation you have.

If you can determine the manufacturer of the cable, find the name on the exterior of the plastci sheathing, you can produce the product cut sheet, to back up the fact the use of the cable is not in compliance with it's UL Listing.

Yes, you should take this cable out of service immediately. To help your case, you should hire a qualified electrician to perform the work, and to document that the work was done. Continuing to use the cable as is will not help your case.
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jul 17, 2006, 04:39 PM
    If you have conduit, you could pull the correct wire through that. With bx, I'm afraid your right.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Jul 17, 2006, 06:16 PM
    Depending on if staples are used, how big the holes through the joists & studs are, etc, you may be able to affix some 3-wire to the existing 2-wire, cross your fingers, and pull really hard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3-speed fan control switch wire connection [ 23 Answers ]

Inside housing case are two boxes. One box has #1,2,3,and letter L. The other box has 1 red wire glued in silicone. There are two cords running into housing case. A gray cord coming from fan's motor with 5 wires: White,yellow,blue,gray,green w/white stripe. A black cord (two prong plug) with...

Harbor Breeze Fan switch 5-8 wire [ 15 Answers ]

I'm trying to install a Harbor Breeze Fan switch 5-8 wire. My problem is there are red, purple,pink, yellow, brown, white, black wires where do I connect them into the switch? HELP

3 wire celing fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have just bought a 3 wire celing fan switch and I can't figure out how to wire it. It is a 3 speed fan and it has what appears to be a transformer with blue and black wires going from the old switch to the transformer. One black wire is coming out of the transformer to the plug. The new switch...

Dialup to cable switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have dialup at home and I am using cable where I am living at right now and my outlook express will receive my emails and I can view it but I can't send any emails while on cable.any suggestions?

Cable connection sharing with a hub/switch [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a cable internet connection and want to share it with my three pcs all having windows xp , I have three cat5 cables and a 5- port switch , my broadband modem is a motorola surfboardsb 5100 usbcable modem, I tried to connect all of my pcs but not success , I run a set of setting a home...

View more questions Search