Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leasa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2006, 06:14 PM
    Latchkey Kids
    I live in Ontario... does anyone know the legal age that a child may be left home alone... for a few hours or possibly all day
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 16, 2006, 06:21 PM
    I can not speak for Ontario, but in the US there is no set age, anywhere I know of, It is all a matter of opinion of the maturity of the child. And the ability to defend that action if the government and social services get invovled or if some negative situation occurs.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2006, 09:49 PM
    ONTARIO LAW

From what I remember, the minimum age is 10.

However…

You must gauge the child's maturity. If the child is NOT mature enough, you can NOT leave them home alone.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jul 16, 2006, 10:57 PM
    Most States do not have regulations or laws about when a child is considered old enough to care for him/herself or to care for other children. Currently Illinois and Maryland have laws addressing this topic. States may have guidelines or recommendations. These guidelines are most often distributed through child protective services and are administered at the county level.
    Contact the National Clearinghouse on Child Abuse and Neglect Information (NCCANCH) at 800-394-3366, and staff there will refer you to your local child protective services agency to learn about age guidelines in your area
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Jul 17, 2006, 06:31 PM
    Check this discussion thread out:

http://forum.canadianparents.ca/ubbt...b=5&o=&fpart=1

There is no mandated minimum age for leaving a child alone. I do know that there are several babysitter training programs that recommend that babysitters be at least 12 years old. However, that is again only a recommendation. It is up to the parent to decide if the child is mature and responsible enough to be left alone.
    Leasa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2006, 07:52 PM
    Thank you for your help... much appreciated
    windy-1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2006, 07:34 PM
    What is the legal age for a child to be left alone overnight with 2 younger sibs while parents are at work, in ontario canada,? I'm am worried about a neighbors children?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2006, 09:27 PM
    Also, I think reasonable contact with an adult is important. We had an instance where a cousin was watching our son. The cousin was of reasonable baby sitting age but on the young side. There was an odd circumstance that caused the police to visit the house one night when she was watching him. She was unable to get ahold of us per the police request because of noise where my wife and I were. But she was able to get in touch with her mother, who arrived within 10 minutes of the call.

So... in this case, the police saw my son was in good physical and mental shape, and the juvenille caretaker was able to get an adult to come within a reasobable time.

I'm sure it's a judgement thing in many cases. In ours, thankfully, the officer saw a clean, stable home with a caretaker who had reasonable adult support in a short period.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Sep 5, 2006, 07:07 PM
    windy-1,

Again, I don't think that there is a legally mandated minimum age. It all comes down to the parents' decision. If they feel their child is mature enough and capable enough to look after their siblings, then that is their decision. If it really bothers you, then you should talk the people leaving their children home alone.

If you are too non-confrontational to talk to those people, then my opinion is that it can't be bothering you enough to do anything about it. They know their children better than you do, and know what they are capable of. Without any clear evidence of incompetence or danger, you should allow them to raise their children as they see fit.
    rkelley3 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 04:24 PM
    There are very few states in the U.S. with legal minimum ages for children home alone, but many state agencies have published guidelines. Georgia, Illiniois, Maryland and Oregon are a few of the states with specific ages mentioned in their laws.

12 years of age appears to be the most common recommendation. Latchkey Kids Age Limits provides a state by state comparison with references. This site also provides one guideline from a California agency representative who suggests that 8 year olds and over can be left at home for up to several hours (usually after school before a parent gets home from work).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 kids shows [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone remember the shows Zoobalizoo and Square one? If so, do you know where I could find websites with pictures from those shows or clips?

Kids movie! [ 9 Answers ]

There was this kids movie that I am trying to remember the name of. I watched it back in the early 90's I think, but I am not sure how old it is. There was this girl who I think looked kind of like a clown or a doll and she was in a room with toys and stuffed animals who came to life and then...

I have 3 kids and want 1 more [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I have 3 girls ages 2, 4, and 8. I want to have one more but my husband doesn't agree yet. Can anyone tell me if 4 is better or worse than 3? Thank you!

4 Kids in 1 Room [ 5 Answers ]

My wife and I have a two bedroom house and we have 4 kids. The kids share one room and we have the other room. Is having 4 kids in one room against the law? We are in CA. Or, if it is not against the law, would it be looked down on if we have to go through a custody battle with one of our ex's?...

Kids and $$$ [ 2 Answers ]

So my wife goes to the store with my 19 yo son. On the way they stop in to see my 23 yo daughter at work (vets office) My son sticks around with my daughter until she gets a lunch break, in the mean time my wife heads to Office Depot. While there the kids come in and hit her up for lunch money,...

View more questions Search