Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andreanoonan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2008, 12:16 PM
    20 amp to 15 amp conversion
    We installed a power strip with what we think is a 20 amp male connector -- there's the round ground plug, and two regular prongs, only one of them is veritcal and one horizontal.

We didn't notice this at time of purchase and just want to plug the power strip into a standard grounded home socket.

Can we buy an adapter to connect these two?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2008, 12:34 PM

No, the item being used operates and needs a 20 amp circuit, so you will need to use 20 amp extensions and wiring.

And you most certainly don't want to use it in to a power strip.

It will need to be pluged into a 20 amp plug.
    20 amp is standard in many homes.
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Dec 27, 2008, 02:21 PM

If the 15 amp duplex you want to plug your strip into is on a 20 amp circuit then you can replace it with a 20 amp duplex. Other than that, your options are buy a 15 amp power strip or have a new circuit put in.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2008, 06:19 AM
    Just to clarify,

Simply replacing a 15 amp receptacle with a 20 amp receptacle is not allowed and a code violation without #12 wire and 20 amp breaker.

To answer the original, there is no adapter to allow a 20 amp device to be plugged into a 15 amp outlet.
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Dec 29, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Andrea, The smart thing to do is return the power strip and get a 15a power strip.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

APR to EAR Conversion [ 1 Answers ]

I have an credit card APR 0f 6.9% what is my EAR?

Conversion from B2 to F1 while still in US [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am in US on B2 Visitor visa - I would like to study here and apply for F1 - is that possible while I am still in US - would I have to go to my home country or Canada for F1 stamping? Will it be an issue or complication when re-entering again? Please advise

Conversion from XSD TO XML? [ 1 Answers ]

Can you explain how to convert XSD to XMl format?

Conversion [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently in chapter 13th bankruptcy, and I need to convert over to chp. 7 and I talked to some lawyers and they are charging too much. Is there a how to do it yourself answer out there.

View more questions Search