Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sodium Posts: 250, Reputation: 6

Dec 27, 2008, 12:14 PM
    32 bit operating system vs. 64 bit operating system?
    What does this mean?
    I was trying to download a game. And it said you are currently using a 64 bit operating system, and this game requires 32 bit... and then it said you might want to consider down grading?

What does this mean ?
    Is it bad if I downgrade?
    johndoe99 Posts: 167, Reputation: 21

Dec 27, 2008, 12:36 PM
    32-bit and 64-bit concerns the "data bus" in your PC, a 64-bit means the data bus is able to process data twice as fast as a 32-bit. Being able to process more data means a faster system, but only for certain things -- browing the internet and using Office for example you will see no difference between the two. Graphics processing and scientific calculations will go much faster.

Most 32-bit software will run on a 64-bit system, but you will come across a lot that won't.

Who needs 64-bit ?:

The answer: mostly businesses, universities, scientific groups, and government. If you produce videos, computer art, or develop programs, 64-bit systems will be helpful.

But for the home user, 64-bit is currently a bit overkill.

Dec 27, 2008, 03:04 PM

But if I downgrade for this game will it always be down graded or just down graded for this certain game
    johndoe99 Posts: 167, Reputation: 21

Dec 27, 2008, 07:02 PM
    You don't fully understand what downgrading means, you need to Format and Reinstall a new copy of Windows 32-bit, that means you need to purchase a new copy of your Operating System.

There are also other things to take into account, do you really need that game, are you happy with the 64-bit you already have. Did your PC come preinstalled with the 64-bit, if so you might need critical drivers that might not work if you downgrade.

Dec 28, 2008, 07:51 PM

Ohh okay thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Operating system [ 2 Answers ]

What is the difference between winows 98 and windows XP?

Mac Operating System [ 3 Answers ]

Currently using Mac OS8.6... Is there a download available to OS 9

No Operating System [ 7 Answers ]

I have a IBM 390X laptop, and the computer has successfully completed the hard disk data wiping process. Al Data on the computer is now unrecoverable. The computer is designed for win98, and I have a CD Windows 98 Second Edition. What are the steps I need to take to get this computer working...

View more questions Search