Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CrazyDaisyLou Posts: 194, Reputation: 7

Dec 27, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Will my truck pass inspection?
    About a month ago, my truck started making this weird noise. I took it in to the garage, and they told me one of the axles was broken, but it would be OK to drive until I could come up with the money to get it fixed. I finally was able to take it to get a fixed a week before christmas, but I had to wait for the appointment. Anyway, when I got it back, they said that the axle welded to the side of my truck from driving it and they couldn't remove it, so they had to clamp it together. I live in PA. Does anyone know if it'll pass inspection like this, is it fixable yet, or do I need to start looking for a new vehicle? I can't afford to keep taking it back to the garage. I'm your average person who lives paycheck to paycheck and had to take out a loan just to get the axle fixed, which didn't happen anyway.

Any replies appreciated.

Thanks

Daisy
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2008, 08:22 AM

Axle broke and safe to drive ?

Is this a repair shop that you know ? I would say time to get a second opinion
    lilsnell8 Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2008, 01:41 PM

I really don't think axles are checked that well when inspected mainly just the brakes on the axle but it doesn't hurt to take it just go don't mention anything about it and be good. Or you can go to one station and ask and go to anoter station and get the sticker
    CrazyDaisyLou Posts: 194, Reputation: 7

Dec 28, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Fr Chuck, this is somewhere I've been before, but I'm definitely not going back there. I only drove it to work and back, so I don't understand how it would have gotten that bad that quick. It only takes me about ten minutes each way.

Thanks, lilsnell. I'm hoping they don't check it too well. Luckily for me, though, my inspection isn't until July, so maybe I can save enough to get a cheap, cheap car.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDaisyLou View Post
    About a month ago, my truck started making this weird noise. I took it in to the garage, and they told me one of the axles was broken, but it would be ok to drive until I could come up with the money to get it fixed. I finally was able to take it to get a fixed a week before christmas, but I had to wait for the appointment. Anyway, when I got it back, they said that the axle welded to the side of my truck from driving it and they couldn't remove it, so they had to clamp it together. I live in PA. Does anyone know if it'll pass inspection like this, is it fixable yet, or do I need to start looking for a new vehicle? I can't afford to keep taking it back to the garage. I'm your average person who lives paycheck to paycheck and had to take out a loan just to get the axle fixed, which didn't happen anyway.

Any replies appreciated.

Thanks

Daisy
    Agree with Fr_Chuck; something isn't right. If an "axle" was broken, your vehicle wouldn't move. I'm still not sure how they "clamped it together," either.
    aaron2044 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 08:19 PM

If you broke your axle and you have a truck. Which it would be rear wheel drive, your wheel would fall off, once your break drum let go . If you spun a bearing it could seize with heat and break lose.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2008, 02:00 PM

Something not right here I turn wrenches weekly. Need more detail and I'm a Pa. truck person
    Crazydaisy you are being taken for a ride Please post back I can just about guarantee the members her can get you helped in answers. There are some pretty sharp people Here on askmehelpdesk
    Tahltan Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Dec 30, 2008, 03:07 PM

What type of truck? Year make model?

Were was the noise and type of noise i.e. banging, grinding, scraping

As for clamping an axle together I would like to see this

I am a mechanic and one of the things you should remember it cheaper to fix today then to drive it and have a biggger repair bill 2 days later.

Even if you have a larger truck were a broken axle would not affect your wheel bearings and have the wheel fall off. You will damage the diff as it would only drive on one side with limited slip or possitrack which will cause your diff to fail... or if it 4 wheel drive and you using the front tires to pull you around the shavings from the broken axle will eventually take out the seals bearing diff basically replace the whole rear end.

Without more information it impossible to even start answering your question

Good luck

Tahltan
    Tahltan Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Dec 30, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Forgot to mention :D

I donot know how vechical inspections are carried out and the specific rules in PA.

In Canada, a inspector will fail automaticllly for a broken axle and it would have to be repaired this is a item that could jamm your rear diff and lock up your tires causing an accident.

Get it fixed by someone you trust. Or with the price of gas going up and down a small car always makes sense

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home Inspection [ 3 Answers ]

Fuses do NOT provide protection against A SHORT CIRCUITS B overloading C lightning surges D large ground faults

Home inspection [ 5 Answers ]

the hot wire in a typical 120 volt circuit is? 1.If condensing unit is out of level, or wobbles, watch for? Stress on the duct work, stress on the refigerant lines, stress on the foundation 2.when inspecting a boiler, always test the air bleed valves on the radiator? True or false. ...

Car won't pass inspection, no title, no car, big loan [ 4 Answers ]

#1 Report Inappropriate Post https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/amhd_imgs/statusicon/post_old.gif Yesterday, 03:54 PM jpt123svt vbmenu_register("postmenu_1114330", true); New Member https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/amhd_imgs/statusicon/user_offline.gif Join Date: Jun 2008 Posts: 1 ...

Leak Inspection [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a 7 year old house and found out the coolant in the 10lb tank was completely depleted. The tech wants to do a $237 leak inspection before charging a few hundred dollars to refill the tank. Should I call the old owners to see if they may have ran it out? I was okay with it until...

OBD II reading "Not Ready" - can't pass inspection [ 1 Answers ]

HELP! I have a 1999 Saturn SL and live in NY. My car went for inspection about 10 days ago and couldn't do the emissions test because my on board diagnostic computer was "not ready" for 4 tests: Catalyst EGR Evap System O2 sensors I was told to "drive it for a while" or do a drive cycle...

View more questions Search