Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chasleroy Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2008, 03:34 PM
    "HOT" Neutral wire in outlet box? Cause?
    Using outlet box with power and 3 neutrals(tied together/insulated) I want to use for adding a light fixture. Separated wires and found voltage on one of the neutral wires (measured ground wire to N). Any condition where power on the neutral lead is OK?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2008, 03:43 PM

How or what did you use to test for the power on the neutral? And are you sure it a neutral wire from the start?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 26, 2008, 05:08 PM
    First off, you separated these wires with the power ON??
    If so that almost precludes you from doing any further electrical work. :rolleyes:
    This was not a smart thing to do.

Yes, there are times you will find "power" on an actual neutral wire. One is a back feed from a load on the circuit
    chasleroy Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2008, 05:11 PM

Used a VOM, measured from ground wire to the 3 white leads, tied together with wingnut.
    One of them measured, range from 38 to as high as 90vac.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2008, 06:07 PM

That voltage gets backfed by filters and such in electronic devices. (By itself, it's no cause for alarm. A steady voltage or ~60 V would be worth investigating. With no appriciable current being drawn by the VOM, the voltage will be all over the map.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing old "General Controls" thermostat. How to determine what the wire do? [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing an old "General Controls" thermostat, model T-90H110A137, 24 volts max, 0.8 AMP. The wires are labelled but not to the current standard of H1/H2/B/O/RC/RH/G/Y/W. how do I determine which wire is for what? The old thermostat controls a furnace and has a continuous fan option. ...

Outlet 11" from wall. Can I use a 12" rough-in toilet? [ 10 Answers ]

I am installing a new toilet in a very old bathroom. There is exactly 11" from the wall to the exact center of the outlet. The outlet itself is 4" in diameter, so 12" from the wall is still over the opening. My question is: Can I use a toilet with a 12" rough-in distance for this situation. I'm...

How to "cap off" electrical outlet in center of yard [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old floodlight sitting in the center of my front yard that used to light a flagpole. We had to take it down due to corrosion, and now, we don't have a clue on how to get rid of the floodlight. Please assist, and thanks in advance :)

View more questions Search