Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BSelff Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Wiring 50 amp breaker
    Good Afternoon,
    I had a chance to acquire some 6-2 w/g and would like to know if this is okay to wire my 50 amp plug to my welder? If this is okay to use; where would the bare ground wire be connected in the sub-panel. If it is suppose to be the common, would it be wired to the common strap in the sub-panel or would it be attached to the ground strap. I know they are not connected in the sub-panel, only in the main panel. Or should I try to sell it and acquire some 6/3?
    Thanks,
    Bob
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 26, 2008, 03:05 PM
    There is NO "common". There are hots, a neutral and a ground.
    Your 240v welder does not likely require or use a neutral. 6/2 w/g cable is perfect.
    The ground wire goes to the ground bar.
    Use the black and white as your two hots. Just mark the white to another color like red or black with a permanent marker.
    BSelff Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2008, 03:18 PM
    Thank you, everything else I have wired 220v was always 2 hots and a common. This wire is romex which is what I am using in the walls on my shop, but I was confused with the bare ground and not a wrapped wire for the common.
    Thank you again for you prompt answer.

Bob

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI breaker wiring [ 10 Answers ]

I hired someone yesterday to install a gfci on the circuit that my pool lights and small backyard office are on. My home has a GTE sylvania box which uses those zinsco breakers and the gfci breaker for this panel is almost $300 each. So he ran a small box next to it, powered the box off the 20amp...

Breaker wiring [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of wire do I need for a 250 amp breaker?

Water Heater; Breaker Wiring? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I'm installing a new electric water heater. All plumbed and wired to the heater. Just picked up a new 30amp breaker, ready to put in the panel. 10/2 wire…At the tank; red to white, black to black, green grounded. My question is about wires to the breaker? Green is easy that’s the...

Arc fault breaker wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Can I power two arc fault protected circuits through one 14-3 feeder? I intend to install two arc fault breakers in the panel and route the power to two bedrooms through a single run of 14-3 cable.

Wiring AC condenser to Breaker Box [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a home that had a few vandal problems. It seems someone was trying to steal most of the pieces to the breaker box while it set empty during sale. The closing company had most of it repaired during closing, but turns out today *the hottest day in a month* the wire from...

View more questions Search