Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martina59 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Dec 26, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Cat spraying issue!
    :mad:
    I have 2 cats. One of them has been spraying for the past couple of years (ever since we got the additional cat). They sometimes don't get along. I'm so sick of it, but hubby likes the one who sprays, and I like the additional cat. Short of getting rid of one or both of them, is there anything we can do? We've tried rubbing his nose in it, and shoving him outside, but he just keeps spraying. Any help available?? Desperate!!
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Dec 26, 2008, 01:40 PM

First off, is the spraying cat neutered or spayed? Do that first. Next, take him in for an exam: he will need a urinalysis to make sure there are no underlying issues and then he can safely be put on behavior modification drugs for a period of 4-6 months then tapered off and he should stop. If not, they are safe to stay on. Also, is he spraying in the same places every time?

Dec 26, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Oh yeah, the Feliway plug in diffusers can help-they release soothing pheromones into the air to help, too.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 26, 2008, 01:46 PM

Hi Martina. There is some very good information on this website about cats spraying and I think you should read through it before making a decision on what you should do:

www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-spraying-urine.htm - 56k

Dec 27, 2008, 06:16 AM

Thank you to each of the suggestions. I'll definityly try the spray. They were both neutered as kittens. Unfortunately, we can't give him any pills, we tried taking him to the vet, and the vet couldn't even get near him to examin him, he was terribly freaked out, and attacked the vet, even with the vet using gloves.

Dec 27, 2008, 06:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrscoltweaver View Post
    Oh yeah, the Feliway plug in diffusers can help-they release soothing pheromones into the air to help, too.
    What does it smell like? I've tried some cleaners that almost smell worse than the spraying!! Have you used this?

Dec 27, 2008, 07:24 AM

Feliway is not a cleaner, it's just a plug-in like a Glade plug-in. You really cannot smell the pheromones relased but the cats do. Your vet can have any medication made into a liquid or, my favorite for cats, a transdermal. You simply swipe a tiny bit of this gel on the inside of his ear once daily and it is immediately absorbed. There are ways to examine him other than scare him to death. We give a light sedative injection to ferocious felines and it works just fine-there are many save ones to use that are short acting and even reverseable. Maybe your vet would be willing to give a Convenia shot to him-a long acting antibiotic just in case it is a urinary tract infection as well as start the gel as a behavior modification.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Male cat spraying. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old male cat that has a big spraying problem. He started doing it about a year ago and it just keeps getting worse. He is spraying everything. I find it on my clothes, furniture, bedding, suit cases, wrapping paper, walls, cupboards... He even sprayed my sister once when she was...

Spraying neutered cat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a neutered male cat he is abot 2 years old. He sprays everywhere, on the back of my new leather couch, on me in my own bed, my bed if I am not in it, throw pillows on the chair and ottoman, an inflatable pumpkin for my grandaughter. I am really at the end of my rope with him. The pumpkin...

My cat is spraying I don't know what to do! [ 1 Answers ]

My cat is spraying around the house in no particular areas, just randomly and I don't know how to re-train it? It was litter trained and has been spayed, it has a brother that dosen't do this. But I may have to get rid of the cat if I can't sort out this problem :( Please Help!!

Spraying my car [ 1 Answers ]

Hi what is the best paint to spray my car with the coluor is (red) :confused:

View more questions Search