Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Violet31 Posts: 98, Reputation: 4

Jan 5, 2009, 08:09 AM

Hi,

She´s back with her stiletto heels thumping on my ceiling. Turns out she was in the Fjords with her parents. I met them in the driveway. She didn´t say hello, but I exchanged a few words with her mother - she was quite nice and wished me a happy new year. I was very pleasant as well.

They did park all the horse trailers and boxes in the side street - not in my parking space, which is a good sign.

I am very lucky because I have a friend who is a an accomplished singer and gave me loads of CD´s to drown the stiletto noise. I must count myself lucky because I don´t live with many neighbors.

I´m determined to be calm, polite and distant when I see her. But when her ex-husband will be coming with his girlfriend to visit the son, leaving his car parked in the middle of the driveway, I´ll call the borough of this suburb to get a Thai translator so I can speak with them.

Would that get them mad and ruin everything?
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 08:16 AM
    She's baaaaaaack!! :D

Who wears stilleto heels in their house anyway. :confused:

I would get the interpreter, yes. Better to be proactive, then have to sit and wait for the next time. Chances are he will park as you said.

So much for a break huh? Keep us posted.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 10:32 PM

What a nightmare - I still say perhaps moving would be for the best. I know the market is bad, but you know, you don't need the whole market to improve - you need only to sell one flat, right? Or simply decide you are going to move, perhaps in spring - if you know it's just for a period, perhaps it will bother you less in the interim (far less than feeling like this will go on forever).

As another option - registered letter, translated to Thai. Your neighbor, if Thai, may be accostomed to a very communal style of living where everyone is in everyone's business. Be mindful that in Thailand, in some areas, homes only have walls on three sides - with the remaining side open to the river. I was astounded to see it when I was there as a tourist, coming there as an American accostomed to extremes of privacy -

YOu could also consider a sign for your door stating, "Please do not disturb during the hours of 8 am until 6 pm" or whatever would be fitting for your work schedule.

Then again - some people simply don't care they are a nuissance.

Jan 6, 2009, 08:37 AM
    She´s actually not Thai, she´s Scandinavian like me. She married a man from Thailand and had a son with him. He has a new girlfriend who is Thai and they come over from time to time to spend time with her son. She lends them her apartment and they stay overnight from time to time.

I met her on the driveway yesterday and wished her a happy new year.

She barely answered, just grunted something.

I´ll see how it develops, but I´ve realized she has far more problems than I thought before I asked for advice here - that´s for sure.

About the stiletto heals - she even has high healed slippers. Feels like heard of horses up there. I will be calling the housing association.

Apr 13, 2009, 01:42 PM
    Hi everybody,

Those stilettos are back - along with hammer, saws and nails.

I have consulted a lawyer and I have enough to sue for damages on my house. I have also decided to move, but how should I handle it until then?

It´s the noise. It´s the vacuum-cleaning at all hours, dragging heavy furniture at 4 AM, hammering and drilling at 5 AM.

It´s her sawing down trees outside my window without asking permission when I go away for the week-end.

I had such a lovely Easter until this morning when she awoke me and my niece out of a deep sleep early in the morning. She had workmen up there - Easter Monday is like Sunday here - and they hammered, sawed, drilled and banged all morning and all afternoon. I must say I lost my cool, went out and screamed: "Stop that **** noise!"

They stopped for a while, then came back and hammered some more. When I looked outside, the parents were there with all their vehicules, blocking my driveway. They wanted to gang up on me, all three, but I didn´t answer the door.

Later that afternoon they stopped and left. The yard looks like a construction site. I´ll call my lawyer tomorrow, but please, any suggestion would be welcome as to how to treat her right now. I don´t want to deal with her at all. Through my lawyer I´ve found she´s manipulated me and lied to me.

I don´t want to start shouting or hitting the ceiling with a broom, it will lead to open warfare - so any advice is absolutely vital. Thanks.
    Emotional Health Expert

Apr 13, 2009, 02:44 PM
    Oh Violet,

It got worse instead of better didn't it.

All I can think of right now is make sure you take pictures, lots of them. Get yourself a recording device and record the noise along with the date and time.

I would consider a restraining order against her entire family. To include not to come within so many metres, which would hopefully include the driveway as well.

I trust you have kept a diary. Check with your lawyer as to being able to sue them for any expenses you have incurred if you have to move to a motel/hotel to get away from it.

Once they know that you are either gone, or are selling, they may get into a retaliation mode, so as much as you can, protect yourself and your property.

I am so sorry you are going through this with these crazy people. I'm hoping that you will get a lot of helpful hints here.

Keep us posted if you can.

Apr 13, 2009, 05:30 PM
    Thank you so much, Jake.

I´m glad you´re there. Yes, I´ve kept a diary, or better yet a log book, and the council has photos of the house before and after she tore down this entryway, which caused all the damages on my veranda.

Also, I think she´s a spoilt little madam who has somehow managed never to work because she doesn´t feel like it and her parents pay for everything here. She resents me because I won´t stand for her lies and inconsideration. The couple I bought the flat from were in her pocket.

It´s beginning to affect my niece for whom I´m responsible and I don´t feel secure. I´m not afraid to stand up to her parents, but it´s tiresome. A straining order could start open warfare here and I´m afraid she would kill our cats.

I took photos of the yard and I managed to record some of the noise. The thing is I´m so angry at her for driving me away from here, but I must move despite the recession.

Thanks again, Jake. You really helped.

:)Violet
    Emotional Health Expert

Apr 13, 2009, 06:02 PM
    I like to think that people like that eventually get their comeupance.

In the meanwhile, all things considered, I don't blame you one bit for getting out. I think when you are actually out of there, starting over in a new place will do you the world of good.

I'm glad you posted, and thanks for the compliment, truly my pleasure.

Keep in touch.

Also wanted to mention that it sure sounds like you've really done a great job of gathering proof. That will pay off down the road.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2009, 06:42 PM

I know in the US, there are many laws about when you can even start construction work. Heck where I live, the trash trucks can not even collect trash to after 7 AM.

So time to start getting lawyers in the action

Apr 14, 2009, 07:41 AM
    You´re right, Chuck. There are rules here too, probably similar to what you have in the States, but my neighbor has never respected any kind of rules. I´m sure it has something with the way she´s living - unemployed for years despite good health, parents paying for everything.

And since the parents pay the mortgage, they feel they own this place too, so they use my side of the parking lot for their many horse trailers, boxes and unused cars. I put up a parking sign and had the Police tow their vehicules away, but they still do it!

My lawyer is on vacation, but I will check with the Houseowners Association and see what they can assist me with.

I hope no one here at this board will have to go through anything like this! I really do.

Best wishes,
    Violet

Jun 25, 2009, 02:48 PM
    Hi, I´m back with unresolved stiletto issues! :)

I hope you´re really well and having a wonderful summer.

I did everything you advised me to do, I kept a log book, took photos, talked with my lawyer got to know my rights. We decided it would be best to keep my relationship with her as good as possible and then try to negotiate with her, but until that was possible, she stopped suddenly all noise, and now something strange is happening.

There are two things that I need to speak with her about.

1. The garden. We are supposed to take or it 50/50.
    2. The damages on the back side and my veranda side of the house.
    3. The roof. It´s leaking.
    4. The lights where we park the cars.

Three weeks ago, I came home from work with my foster daughter and met her and her mother in the garden. We both said hello (my daughter and I) smiled and tried to be as nice as possible.

The mother said hello, but my neighbor looked at me with such hatred I thought she wanted to kill me. However, I said to her; "Listen, it´s such a great day today, how do you want to organise the garden work..."?

She didn´t speak to me. I tried calling her later, but she didn´t pick up.

The next day we woke up - and the garden lawn had been mowed and the flower beds taken care of. Real mystery - some one must have been there at 6 AM.

I tried again to talk to her, but she went inside and slammed the door. I got the message. No talk.

Then she stopped being here. Her car is outside, but no one is in the flat... except late at night, someone creeps in to get things and then runs across the lawn. I looked outside the window - it´s her.

I guess I´ll mow the lawn when it stops raining here, but what do you think I should do?

I need to talk to her about the repairs.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Love,
    Violet.

P.S. And we´re moving as soon as we can. It´s all planned, but it won´t be until next year.
    We need to survive until then. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difficult [ 1 Answers ]

I need help my question is not in the form of a riddle it has 3 clues an I need possible answers please The 3 clues are it is not in many homes, millions of it is used every day, it gets slipy when wet. There is a sound that goes with it it souds like a shower mat being pulled up and this is...

So difficult [ 2 Answers ]

ow do I balance this oxidation-reduction equation? KBrO2+KI+HBr-KBr+I2+H2O?

Difficult situation [ 1 Answers ]

I filed only my past due mortgage payments in my chapter 13 bankruptcy/state of Georgia. My community is included in a neighborhood improvement project where the homeowners will receive grant monies and or low interest loans. Also I will be able to sell my property to them as an option. My...

Difficult to sum up [ 1 Answers ]

My husband works a whole lot, and he is gone from our home usually 3 weeks out of 4 and works on drilling rigs (oil). He is well compensated and swears that the money is about saving a down payment for a home, and that after we buy a house he will quit. We've been married seven years and he has...

Being difficult on purpose [ 4 Answers ]

Well, my friend went to mediation on Tuesday and the mediator basically told him that her anger issues aren't important right now, I'm here for the child to get you two to agree on a parenting plan. They have to have separate appts because he has a restraining order on her. She just wants to use...

View more questions Search