Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrikevno Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2008, 06:59 AM
    Mad Cat
    My partner and I got two cats about five years ago as kittens. They lived great together for three of those years and we never had any problems. They were separated for two years because we broke up and just recently I have both of them again due to certain circumstances.

One is totally fine - the same one I have kept the entire time. The other is hissing, growling, hiding and I am not sure if he is eating or using the litter box (the one that just moved back in with me).

I am very worried and not sure what to do. I live in a small studio apartment so separate rooms is impossible. I keep reading a lot about this Feliway stuff. Has anyone used it with success? Or do you have any other suggestions? I want them both to be happy and at a loss of what to do.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Dec 26, 2008, 08:00 AM

Cats have a three part acceptance policy. #1 I can't stand you and wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire #2 You could be cool but I have to keep up appearances #3 What's up? Can I groom you and you groom me? Yes, Feliway can help-the plug in diffuser is better than the spray. Don't scold mad kitty, just ignore it and they will work it out, I promise!
    chrikevno Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2008, 05:29 AM
    Thanks for your response. I went to Petco to get Feliway and they didn't have it. But they had several similar diffuser products that promised the same results. The one I got is called Pet-Ease, made by Nutri-Pet. It contains herbal essential oils versus extracts or chemicals. Within six hours of plugging it in the "mad cat" that had been in hiding for two days straight came out and was little more assertive. He let me get near him without hissing or growling, but I could tell there was still some hesitancy. However, this morning - about 14 hours after I plugged the diffuser in - he is just like his old self. Eating, using the litter box, wrapping himself around my legs and meowing away for me to rub his ears they way he likes, etc. I am still waiting to see the actual interaction between him and his brother than have been separated for awhile. But for now it appears peace and harmony may be on the horizon for my little family.
    Thank you for your response. And for anyone else that may go through a similar ordeal, I highly recommend these calming diffuser products. They're a little pricey - I paid $40 for mine. But in the end it was worth it.
    ~ K
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Dec 27, 2008, 07:28 AM

K, glad to hear it and I'm glad Feliway isn't the only one on the market! Remember to check the level of oil every so often and discard when empty. You probably won't need a refill but it is safe to keep these plugged in all the time. Cats are such divas-that's why I love 'em!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search