Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    autumn19 Posts: 47, Reputation: -2

Dec 25, 2008, 01:12 AM
    Ferrets smelly thing
    Ferrets have a smelly thing and I was wandering how much is it to have it taken out?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 25, 2008, 03:44 AM

Ferrets have an undeserved reputation of being smelly. It is true that they have a distinctly musky odor about them, but it is neither offensive nor overpowering. This musky odor comes from their skin glands and is present whether the ferret is descented or not. While occasional baths are recommended, frequent bathing will not reduce the scent, and will likely make it worse as the skin will get too dry and the skin glands will produce more oils in an effort to combat the dryness.

As mentioned above ferrets are usually descented in North America, which involved removal of the scent glands. They do have scent glands similar to skunk scent glands, and they will release (not spray) the contents if threatened. However, ferret scent gland secretions are milder than that of skunks and the smell dissipates quickly and washes away easily. The routine removal of scent glands, which is most commonly done in North America, is now being questioned since the musky odor of ferrets is not due to the scent glands and discharge of their scent glands is not a big problem.

I don't know how much it would cost, to have this particular gland removed, if you could find a vet to do if for you. All you can is shop around and ask.
    autumn19 Posts: 47, Reputation: -2

Dec 25, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Ferrets have an undeserved reputation of being smelly. It is true that they have a distinctly musky odor about them, but it is neither offensive nor overpowering. This musky odor comes from their skin glands and is present whether the ferret is descented or not. While occasional baths are recommended, frequent bathing will not reduce the scent, and will likely make it worse as the skin will get too dry and the skin glands will produce more oils in an effort to combat the dryness.

As mentioned above ferrets are usually descented in North America, which involved removal of the scent glands. They do have scent glands similar to skunk scent glands, and they will release (not spray) the contents if threatened. However, ferret scent gland secretions are milder than that of skunks and the smell dissipates quickly and washes away easily. The routine removal of scent glands, which is most commonly done in North America, is now being questioned since the musky odor of ferrets is not due to the scent glands and discharge of their scent glands is not a big problem.

I dont know how much it would cost, to have this particular gland removed, if you could find a vet to do if for you. All you can is shop around and ask.
    Thank you so much!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

At home jobs good thing? Or a bad thing? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a two month old little girl, and a job I have had for almost 4 years. When I first found out I was pregnant my boss and I sat down and discussed my future with the company. We decided that after my maternity leave I would come back part time (20 hours) until January of 2009. I am now back...

Baby ferrets(kits) [ 4 Answers ]

Which sex of ferret would be better for a beginner or doesn't it matter?Also housing,inside or out,which is better:confused:

Smelly toilet leading to all floor being smelly [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there is toilet smell on all my floor in the company where I work what can be the reasons and what can be the remedy pl guide urgently.:mad:

Ferrets behavior [ 2 Answers ]

I couldn't find a "Pet" board, so I randomly picked this one. I hope someone can answer my question! I have 2 ferrets, George and Sammie. We don't know how old George is because we got him from someone else who didn't tell us the age, but we think he is getting pretty old. Sammie, we got when...

Movie of a warrior with an eagle, a tiger and 2 ferrets. [ 6 Answers ]

Please help me find the title of this movie about a blond Tarzan look alike, a bit like He-man (but not He-man because I know they also did a movie of him) who fights the powers of darkness. He could be the son of the king and queen which are murdered at the beginning of the movie, but I am not...

View more questions Search