Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dnysis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2008, 08:02 PM
    Problems with 6 year old dauchand
    I was wondering if back problems in dauchands can cure themselves with time and meds?
    My 6 year old long-haired-male, has lost all movements in his back legs, and also bladder control. Is there any hope for recovery with out paying the 3 to 4 thousand dollars for surgery?
    He is him-self if it weren't for this problem. Vet put him on predizone, but I haven't seen much improvements. Does anyone have any time frame for improvements?
    Or has anyone else had same problems with dauchand?
    Carol

e-mail - cyoder45.. [email protected] - if replying take out dots and dl behind 45.
    pastorhal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2008, 09:41 PM
    Is it possible that he was bitten by a tick? Our dog was and developed problems with her back legs getting really stiff and then developed bladder cancer. Only 10 years old, but had to be put down. Hope you can find a resolution.:( pets are our best friends!
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Dec 25, 2008, 12:11 PM

Was he not put on strict cage confinement in addition to the pred? Huge oversight, if not. Spinal injuries take a minimum of 10 days of confinement to heal-carry out to eliminate, then right back in cage where they cannot move. You introduce mobility slowly back in to life under a vet's close monitoring. If it has gone past an injury and is now a permanent spinal paralysis, you can have a "cart" built for him that supports his back end. If he is eliminating with no control, seek your vet's advice quickly!
    dnysis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2008, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrscoltweaver View Post
    Was he not put on strict cage confinement in addition to the pred?? Huge oversight, if not. Spinal injuries take a minimum of 10 days of confinement to heal-carry out to eliminate, then right back in cage where they cannot move. You introduce mobility slowly back in to life under a vet's close monitoring. If it has gone past an injury and is now a permanent spinal paralysis, you can have a "cart" built for him that supports his back end. If he is eliminating with no control, seek your vet's advice quickly!
    He has never had control of his bladder since 2 days after this started. Vet never told me to be on strict confinement, but I think that is a great idea. Makes good sense to me.
    I will be trying that.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Dec 25, 2008, 03:49 PM

Remember that with the way these dogs are shaped, it can also be a cervical injury, too. Elevate his food and water bowls just a little. Try a second opinion if you can. At our clinic, we see so many paralyzed little dogs that wouldn't have been this way if correct advice were given in a timely manner! Hope he gets better!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Problems getting 14 year old out of bed! [ 18 Answers ]

My daughter is 14 and I struggle every morning of the week getting her out of bed for school. I have made her go to bed earlier to no avail. Have made her set alarm clock and if she does not get up on her own I wait until she does and she is tardy for school still doesn't help. I am ready to...

19 month old and 3 1/2 year old with eye problems [ 3 Answers ]

I would love to hear from any medical professionals or parents with similar experiences. My son is 3 1/2 and has strabismus (sorry if mispelled). His ophthalmologist is treating with patch therapy which we have been doing for about 9 months. It seems to be getting worse or at best staying the...

15 year old erection problems. [ 4 Answers ]

Right I'll just get down to the point, I've been with my girlfriend for 3 years now. But only recently during sex I penertrate her with a 100% erection, but after a while it goes down to around 50% or even less while we are still having sex, this is very confusing for me seeing as she is a very...

My 10 year old having period problems [ 8 Answers ]

Please help me. My 10 year old started her period this year in September and each month she went from 3 days to 5 days. This month she started December 8th and it is now December 30th and she is still going. I called her Doctor about 5 days ago and they said to keep track of her periods for the...

View more questions Search