Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nike6 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Noedyne heater "limit circuit" open
    I have a Nordyne heater which has been working great for the last 4 years. Tonight, however, the blowers are constantly operating even though the thermostat is off. The red indicator light is indicating that the limit circuit is open or there's and external load on "W". Which I think refers to the room thermostat. When I set the thermostat, nothing happens- no firing and no heat. The unit was professionally installed and I intend to place a call to a professional tomorrow. However, can anyone tell me if there is something else I should check? Also, besides turning off the circuit breaker, how can I get the blowers to stop? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 07:28 PM

Turn off at the breaker box to get it to stop completely.

Dec 23, 2008, 07:56 PM
    I turned off the circuit breaker but, of course, that also turns off several other things in the house. When I turn the breaker back on, the blower starts almost immediately. Any other ideas? Thanks
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 08:02 PM

There should be a switch near the furnace that will turn power off to furnace only. Follow wiring from furnace and see if you can find the shut off. If the furnace is fairly new, you may also be able to take the covers off the furnace. When you take the bottom cover off the furnace, it should open a door safety switch which will kill the power to the furnace. Please let me know if this works. If not, turn the breaker off, take a flashlight(assuming turning the breaker off kills the lights in the furnace room) disconnect wires from furnace junction box, wire nut them separately, and turn the breaker back on. Good luck and let me know how things work out.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 08:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike6 View Post
    I turned off the circuit breaker but, of course, that also turns off several other things in the house. When I turn the breaker back on, the blower starts almost immediately. Any other ideas? Thanks

Where I come from professional HVAC installers know to put a furnace on a breaker all to itself, that way when breaker is /needs to be turned off the furnace is all that's turned off,, its code,the safe way to do things
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Dec 23, 2008, 08:34 PM

I have never been a fan of having multiple loads on a circuit with a furnace.
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 08:36 PM

Does the circuit board have a fuse in it? Small 3 amp automotive type fuse, if so check it out
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 08:40 PM

The above advice is exactly right. But there are a lot of half assers out there, that don't dedicate a furnace to one breaker. Not so much these days, but they used to do it a lot, just didn't know any better, most likely lack of training. We just need to help him figure out how to get that furnace shut down, without killing breakers, for now. Hope he can get it done. Then hopefully he will have a true electrician in to straighten out his wiring.

Dec 23, 2008, 08:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    the above advice is exactly right. But there are alot of half assers out there, that dont dedicate a furnace to one breaker. Not so much these days, but they used to do it alot, just didnt know any better, most likely lack of training. We just need to help him figure out how to get that furnace shut down, without killing breakers, for now. Hope he can get it done. Then hopefully he will have a true electrician in to straighten out his wiring.
    Electrician? Blasphemy.
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 08:44 PM
    wmproop. I let the electricians take care of the power sources(have enough to worry about).lol. Although I always thought it would be cool to get my masters in electrical, then I could pull my last three hairs out. Just need that little extra stress.

Dec 23, 2008, 08:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    wmproop. I let the electricians take care of the power sources(have enough to worry about).lol. although i always thought it would be cool to get my masters in electrical, then i could pull my last three hairs out. just need that little extra stress.
    With the company I work for and the type of work I mainly do (commercial refrigeration) I have to be an HCAV/R tech, an electrician and a plumber. :p
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 08:50 PM
    Mark... Yep electrician. They have families to feed to. There is a reason they have the trade they do. Im not a licensed electrician. Therefore my insurance doesn't cover me doing electrical work. Of course I do simple electrics(wouldnt call an electrcian to work on a furnace. Or trouble shoot a thermostat, most wouldn't know where to start) but when it comes to dedicated lines, with proper wire sizing from the breaker panel, I leave it up to them.

Dec 23, 2008, 08:55 PM

When I was in HVAC/R school the very first course we were required to take was electricity and electrical theory. This included residential wiring.
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 08:56 PM

In my state and I thought most other states,in order to be a HVAC contractor we all have to carry a speciality HVAC/plumbing electricians card saying we are trained and able to do our own wiring for hvac/plumbing only,, it cost me 50 bucks a year to carry the card,, :)
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 08:56 PM
    I agree again Mark. In our trade/trades, we have to be able to do a little of everything. But there is a line to be drawn. We spend years in training, usually for one specific field. During this time, we learn about many fields. But we only get licensed for one. Im betting you are an awesome HVAC-R tech, but I most likely wouldn't have you replumb my house.LOL.
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 09:03 PM
    In my state, I would be old enough to retire by the time I went though all the apprenticeships , journeyman, master levels to acquire plumbing and electrical. Have a five year apprenticeship for both plumbing and electrical, and another five after that before you can take your masters. Have to have a masters here before you can own your own business. So to be a master plumber and electrician, it would 18 to twenty years. Like I said, I don't need the extra stress. Lol

PS. Yes I live in a very very strict state. Don't even get me started on fire sprinkler systems, that just adds more years.
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 09:11 PM

As far as I know the HVAC/plumbing electricians card only allows us to plumb gas lines to HVAC equipment and hot water heaters,, plumbing and electrical wiring,, but we did have to take schooling and a state test.
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 09:19 PM

Correct wmproop. As a licensed plumber, and hvac-r tech, I am allowed to run gas and to do local electrical connection( hook up water heater, furnaces, ac units, etc,) just not allowed to run wires from main panel and such.
    Not that I haven't had to, just wouldn't want the electrical inspector to stop by while I doing it.

Dec 23, 2008, 09:24 PM
    Thanks to everyone for their advice. I found the switch and turned the heater off; I'll contact a local professional to check it out. Until then... brrrrrr.

Dec 23, 2008, 10:48 PM

Here in Indiana we aren't required to carry an additional card. In addition, when applying for a residential building permit in my town the only permit you cannot get is plumbing, the rest you can test out of. But then again I also live in a state where there are no seat belt laws if you are driving a pick-up truck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central heater will not work on "auto" and blows cool air when on "man" [ 2 Answers ]

OK my central heater blower will not come on at all when on auto, and when on manual/on it just blows cool air out of vents. I was told to put a jumper wire on (w) to (g)wires at the thermostat, (I think) to check it, but not sure exactly. Is that the thermostat on wall or what? The pilot light is...

Nordyne Furnace "burner limit circuit open", during A/C operation [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, Hope this makes sense and required info is present. Any help or suggestions is appreciated, thanks. Furnace brand is Nordyne, about 3 years old, cooling portion model# of unit is JS3BA-036KA. This issue started last week. The A/C still works, but now the blower portion? Doesn't shut...

Brayant 80t furnace, 'Limit or flame rollout switch is open"? [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I am new here and am having a furnace problem. As a new homeowner I would like to take a look at this myself before just grabbing the phone books. I have a Bryant 80t furnace. Built in 2000 and has been serviced every other year. Unit is clean and in good shape. Woke up to a cold house and...

Furnace "burner limit circuit open", How to fix? [ 2 Answers ]

The furnace in my vacant rental property does not light. The blower runs but the igniter never glows and the gas valve does not open. The LED blinks once which means the burner limit circuit is open. How do I replace the burner limit circuit? Inside the furnace cover I found the electronic...

View more questions Search