Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SirPoochala Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2008, 03:24 PM
    Clicking noise one story above unit when TRANE furnace is engaged from Zone thermosta
    I recently had my wall mounted thermostat moved to a different location in my house by a licensed electrician. Shortly afterwards (not the same day) a steady and continuous clicking sound started to come from behind the wall where the thermostat used to be located. This sound only comes on when I turn up the heat on the thermostat in the new location. As soon as the heat in the air detected by the thermostat matches the number that I've manually selected on the thermostat does the clicking noise stop.

The unit is at the most 6-7 years old. I can't afford a major repair and the local dealers out here charge a fortune just to walk in your door.

The electrician says it has nothing to do with his relocation of the thermostat to a different wall in a different room on the same floor (1st floor) as the prior location. The furnace is located in the cellar below the 1st floor more or less underneath the former location of the thermostat. I can see through the wall on the 1st floor of this former location that there are pipes on this floor too. I haven't gone into the cellar to listen to the clicking sound. It really sounds like it is coming from the pipes behind the wall on the floor - not in the cellar. In fact, I had to go into the crawl space underneath this wall to do something unrelated and I barely heard the clicking sound.

Any advice as to the cause would be appreciated. Thanks very much!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Did you patch the hole? The clicking sound might have always been there. I suggest listening to the furnace to see if you hear the clicking sound at that point. In other words try to track the sound down. Noises/sounds are difficult to tell from where we are at.

Dec 23, 2008, 03:52 PM

Hi hvac1000 - thanks for the prompt response! Yes, the hole was patched. The clicking noise was never there before - I would have heard it! The wall it is behind is just thin beedboard. It is coming from the pipes behind the wall. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dec 23, 2008, 03:56 PM
    Are they plumbing supply water pipes? If so then the sound is probably originating at the Water meter,water heater etc. Does it make this noise all the time? If so you might listen while someone turns on and off the water that is supplied by the pipes.

Dec 23, 2008, 04:02 PM

Hi hvac1000 - It isn't the water or the alarm control pad. I've narrowed everything else down and eliminated everything. It is something connected with the furnace/thermostat, etc. The heat works fine. The thermostat works fine. The propane tanks work fine. The clicking noise only comes on when I turn up the thermostat and it goes off when the desired temperature has been reached. Thanks.

Dec 23, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Oh - one more thing - my water heater isn't heated by the furnace. It is electric. The furnace is only for the HVAC which is limited to the a/c and the heat. This time of year it is only the heat. The sound only comes on when the thermostat is turned up. The clicking sound has no relationship to the water being on. Thanks.

Dec 23, 2008, 04:27 PM
    It could be a relay of sorts but usually the thermostat is wired directly to the furnace. Sometimes water pipes expand and contract making a kind of clicking noise and that was what I was referring to. Many times a furnace will have a clicking sound when turning off or on and that is usually a relay. Depending upon the thermostat they can also make a clicking sound. Does not seem that there is any more I can do for your problem. It might be wise the next time a friend is over to have them listen also to see if they can locate the noise. Merry Christmas.

Dec 23, 2008, 04:35 PM

Thank you very much for sticking with me. How much should it cost to replace a TRANE relay switch? Could it have anything to do with the thermostat being moved since the thermostat is still working just fine? Thanks again.

Dec 23, 2008, 04:55 PM
    The cost at your location is unknown since part and labor prices vary from area to area.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Dec 23, 2008, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SirPoochala View Post
    Any advice as to the cause would be appreciated. Thanks very much!
    Never have an electrician do an HVAC Tech's job.

Dec 24, 2008, 10:50 AM

What is your problem? The electrician said that he can move the thermostat. You don't even know if that caused any problem whatsoever! How is a homeowner supposed to know who is allowed to move a thermostat? Bah humbug to you!
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Dec 25, 2008, 11:23 PM

I have no problem. Any yo-yo with a screwdriver can move a thermostat but that doesn't mean they should. Call the correct tradesman to do the correct job.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2008, 04:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkwithaK View Post
    I have no problem. Any yo-yo with a screwdriver can move a thermostat but that doesn't mean they should. Call the correct tradesman to do the correct job.
    My offer to "moonlight" as a help desk cardiologist still stands... who knows? Maybe that could lead to laptop aerospace engineering! As I'm sure you've already noticed, we can be whatever we want to be in here!;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clicking noise when furnace is on [ 8 Answers ]

I have clicking in what appears to be the gas line whenever the furnace kicks on. I have heat, the clicking is loudest near the gas line on the water heater, but I can hear it upstairs as well. When the furnace goes off, the clicking stops. Does this sound like a furnace issue or gas company, don't...

Zone heating. One zone won't turn furnace on. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, I am using two Honeywell V8043E1012 motorized valves. One zone works but the other one you hear the thermostat click on when you raise the temp but the furnace does not come on. When I use the lower floor thermostat the furnace turns and I get heat upstairs. Is this the problem of the...

Heat Pump Outdoor unit makes a 'clicking' noise, what cloud be the cause? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Heat Pump system. I estimate it is 15+ years old. I had it serviced this past summer. (Reversing valve replaced & recharged). The unit has run well since. It now make a 'clicking' sound when the out-door unit is running. There is no mechanical interference that fan blades...

Clicking noise [ 2 Answers ]

What is the clicking noise coming from the furnace?

Clicking noise in computer [ 2 Answers ]

I have an HP a712n that's about 2 yrs old (windows XP) and has not been used all that much. It has recently done this thing where it makes a clicking noise inside the computer and will freeze up. After the first time it did this, I got a brand new Microsoft One Care subscription, did the virus...

View more questions Search