Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 02:44 PM
    HP Laptop won't boot!
    Hello All

I am an IT major and I have come across something that puzzles me. I have an HPdv200Z (AMD not intel) reformatted it to re-install XP (it did have Vista) after it was done reformatting it prompted to reboot which I accepted but now when it turns on nothing happens not even the BIOS screen comes up or the POST startup screen. It's completely black but sounds like it's running and everything

Can someone point me in the right direction or help me out!

Thanks in advance!

:D
    johndoe99 Posts: 167, Reputation: 21

Dec 23, 2008, 03:58 PM
    From what you have typed; you reformatted with the intention of installing XP, after it was done reformatting it prompted you to reboot, so you did not get to install XP, so there is no OS on your PC and no POST screen will appear.

The POST will only fail to appear if one of the following is corrupted:

Master boot record
    Boot sector (containing the MBR)

Can you boot up with the Windows Installation CD ?

If YES, Enter Windows Recovery Console and at the command prompt enter fixmbr
    Networking Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 04:02 PM
    Correct I did not get a chance to install an OS. Nothing appears even when I put in the XP install Cd, or the Vista recovery cd.
    chaosmaster1 Posts: 294, Reputation: 12

Jan 6, 2009, 06:07 PM

Your video card probably went out on you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 6, 2009, 06:40 PM

First I do not recommend going back to XP on an Vista machine. You need to make sure that the hardware is compatible with XP.

Try pressing F11 as you boot and see if you can enter the Recovery partition.
    Networking Expert

Jan 6, 2009, 07:51 PM

Yeah actually I did not try to install XP I don't know what I was thinking, I kept getting the BSOD and I couldn't restore or nothing! So I reformatted my laptop and erased the partition where Vista was stored and I booted the laptop and it said I had no OS obviously cause I didn't but then I put in the Vista Recovery disc (because I thought the recovery disc stored an image you could use to install) to try to re-install Vista on an empty HD.

Was I mistaken? My laptop turn on the lights are on the HD light is on and the power light is on , the wirless light is on??

Jan 6, 2009, 08:43 PM

Make sure your CMOS settngs are set to boot from the CD.
    Networking Expert

Jan 6, 2009, 08:47 PM

I don't get any CMOS or POST options. Nothing comes up when I boot, the screen remains black no BIOS script nothing.

Jan 6, 2009, 09:58 PM

If you are not getting any display on the screen it could be you have a faulty bios, faulty video, or a faulty screen
    Networking Expert

Jan 6, 2009, 10:38 PM

Any suggestions on what do?

Jan 7, 2009, 07:15 AM

Have you tried contacting HP tech support? You get free life of product e-mail and chat support.
    Networking Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 09:16 AM

No I haven't Ididn't even think about it. I guess I am unsure of what they could help me with, no anymore than you guys??

I'll have my brother check the display and video card and I will look for a BIOS update alhough I am not sure if you can install the new update with no OS.

Jan 7, 2009, 09:36 AM

Try hooking it up to a external monitor and if that works then it is a bad screen cause they can can go out
    Second in response to scott's answer any machine that will run vista
    Can run xp cause the system requirements aren't as high
    Networking Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 10:16 AM

That's not true, you have to consider driver compatibilty and support, and whether the hardware is TOO high for XP. It is not a given that any Vista machine will work with XP.

Maybe I have some hardware that was recently created not supported my XP (because it wasn't out yet)

Performance wise yes, if it runs Vista then it can run XP but does it work that is the question, nothing is guaranteed in IT

Jan 7, 2009, 10:21 AM

I hate to say I disagree with that because all computer manufacturs post links to their drivers on their website I've done over 30 installs of xp pro onto vista only machines and no problems

Jan 7, 2009, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosmaster1 View Post
    i hate to say i disagree with that because all computer manufacturs post links to their drivers on their website i've done over 30 installs of xp pro onto vista only machines and no problems
    I have to agree with Rick. Some Vista machines will take XP, but the newer the machine the more likely it will have hardware that is only supported for Vista or is tuned to perform better under Vista. Thatr's why I don't recommend trying to put XP on a Vista machine.
    Networking Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 11:53 AM

I would have to agree with scott.

As Vista becomes more and more implemented into laptops sold worldwide the more and more manufacturers will start making products ie: hardware, for Vista only or at least maximum performance will be under Vista.

Also all computers are different, I have an HP if you've done 30 install on dells or gateways or sony's your input does me absolyley no good. My hardware and apps. Are different in my HP then in your dell, sony or gateway.

There is a good chance I might have SOMETHING that won't transfer only, maybe it will though but for you to say YES IT DOES is not very helpful and you can't prove it. Sorry I do support your input though.

Jan 7, 2009, 11:55 AM

Could you possibly have a bad install disk?
    Networking Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 11:58 AM

Yeah, I am not allowed to discuss piracy but yeah there is a good chance it was a bad Torrent. That f**** up everything. I thought about it and I will not be using them again :(
    khakhi Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2009, 01:15 AM

ITstudet2006, I'm sitting with exactly the same problem as you are.

I need serious help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop won't boot up anymore [ 16 Answers ]

My toshiba laptop was working perfectly when switched off a couple of days ago. When I turned it on the following morning it wouldn't come on. It was completely dead. No lights or anything. I left it a day and it switched on, booted as far as the windows logo and then froze up. The power light...

Laptop won't boot up [ 1 Answers ]

When I was trying to turn on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite 2435-S255 ) window xp tried several times to startup but failed. It compl:( isn't Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM Unfortunately I do not have the original CD...

I need to boot Laptop [ 1 Answers ]

I have backed up all, my files and I wanted to boot my system to restore it back to how it was when I got it. The reason is I installed windows anytime upgrade not realising it needed a key for it. I rang up acer they said it was not supposed to be installed unless you upgrade. They told me how to...

Laptop Boot [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Toshiba Portege S100 Centrino P-m 740 1.73 Ghz / 512mb 60gb Dvd/cd-rw Wlan 14.1-tft Xga Wxp Pro Uk A couple of days ago, while XP was just loaded, I switched off (hard reset) the laptop by mistake. I somehow must have done something wrong as I cannot get back to a normal XP session. ...

My Laptop Will Not Boot :( [ 3 Answers ]

Help please My packard bell lptop will not load windows. When I first turn it on, it displays a screen about an inconvience and list a few ways to boot, safe mode being one of them. I've tried to boot from safe mode and the last time it was working but it lists loads of writing which includes...

View more questions Search