Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mwatersjr Posts: 23, Reputation: 0

Dec 23, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Goodman Furnace electrical issue
    Have a new Goodman furnace that has a peculiar issue. The furnace will heat just fine and burners will shut off normally when set point is reached. After the burners have shut down, the blower will run for a minute or so then it seems as though it is given a signal to stop then immediately restart. The blower never stops turning and it wold be best described as someone turning off a light switch and turning it right back on again. After another minute or so the system shuts down as it should. What could be causing this electrical "bump" with the blower motor?

Thanks,
    Mike Waters
    Lynnwood, WA
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 02:25 PM
    A out of range fan and limit control allowing the residual heat left in the heat exchanger to reactivate the blower for a short time.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 02:28 PM

How new is it? Installer warranty may still be in effect, and poking around may compromise coverage. A call to your installer may be your best next move.

Dec 23, 2008, 02:35 PM

Father-in-law and his ex-heating contractor friend were installers. Got furnace cheap (but new), so no warranty.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 02:36 PM

Okay then... check the status LED for fault code display while this is occurring.

Dec 23, 2008, 02:45 PM

I just timed the event and it occurs exactly 30 seconds after main burner shutdown. The blower continues to run for another 2 minutes then shuts down until next heating cycle.

I see an LED light that is currently illuminated while the furnace is off. I will count the blinks of this LED the next time the furnace kicks on. Shouldn't be long since it is 30 degrees outside.

Dec 23, 2008, 03:17 PM

In looking at the Emerson control board, while waiting for the system to come on naturally, I saw a button labeled "Fault Recall". Pushing it gave me two sets of 4 blinks. The fault code legend on the furnace panel for 4 blinks indicates that this is an "Open High Limit" condition. Now what?

Dec 23, 2008, 04:00 PM

The system had come on now and run through its cycle. As expected, after 30 seconds a series of fast clicks was heard at the control board and the blower power seemed to be shut off then turned back on within a fraction of a second. NO fault codes were shown by the LED on the control board during this heating cycle. I have made sure there are no restrictions in either the intake or room air side of the furnace.

Dec 23, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Loose or improper ground. Loose connection. Bad or defective control board. Bad sensor feeding control board. Those are my guesses since nothing has shown elsewhere.

Dec 23, 2008, 04:59 PM

Any change in diagnosis if I said this was on a 3-month old furnace?

Dec 23, 2008, 05:01 PM

What sensor could be feeding the control board a bad signal?

Dec 23, 2008, 05:07 PM
    NO since all those items would have to be tested or replaced to find the problem.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Dec 23, 2008, 06:49 PM

Was the furnace size correctly for your duct work?

Dec 23, 2008, 07:21 PM
    I assume it was. The unit didn't start doing this. It took several weeks. I have a tech scheduled to come look at it next Friday.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 08:23 PM
    Has this happened from day 1? Get the "installers" back and have them do it right. Relatives or not, cheap or not, it needs to be made right. And are you sure that Goodman won't warranty this item? Goodman sells through distributors to the public and a warranty is there for a reason. Check around online, do some research before you give up.

Dec 23, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mwatersjr View Post
    I assume it was. The unit didn't start out doing this. It took several weeks.
    Assume? What makes you assume that the proper calculations were done? Judging by this comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by mwatersjr View Post
    Father-in-law and his ex-heating contractor friend were installers. Got furnace cheap (but new), so no warranty.
    I would make sure of it. I understand the lure of saving money on labor costs but by doing it the shade tree method you are asking for potentially expensive issues down the road that will more than negate the money you saved on labor and losing that warranty doesn't help either.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Back to the warranty issue. Goodman will warranty all equipment if you install it yourself IF... you have the equipment checked out by a licensed professional. Your "tech" may be the one to validate the warranty.

Dec 23, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
    Back to the warranty issue. Goodman will warranty all equipment if you install it yourself IF....you have the equipment checked out by a licensed professional. Your "tech" may be the one to validate the warranty.
    While I do believe that the warranty will stand if checked out by a qualified tech, If it is improperly sized you're SOL, likewise with the duct work.

Dec 23, 2008, 08:47 PM

Like I said in a previous post, It took several weeks of use before this showed up. The furnace was replacing an older gas furnace of similar size, CFM output. The tech may be able to check a warranty for it.

Jan 3, 2009, 02:42 PM

Tech came out and scratched his head.. Said he hasn't ever seen a furnace do this in 20 years... Have opened the filter compartment, pulled the filter and let it runs once or twice unencumbered by any possible return air restrictions... same result. I found that I do have the warranty - even registered it with Goodman - Lifetime heat exchanger and 10 yrs parts. I am going to see about getting the control board checked/replaced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman furnace GMNT080-4 furnace runs good for a while then has to be manually reset [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Goodman GMNT080-4 (90%). I'm having the same problem As Streatherg did back in the Nov 2006 question. I reviewed his article and tried Every thing on there but seems to be doing the same thing. The furnace kicks on for about an hour then locks out and has to be manually reset threw...

Goodman furnace issue [ 5 Answers ]

Had a Goodman furnace model # GM 80903 BN installed a year ago, right from the start, the problem started with the burner not igniting when the blower moter is running continuously. I have to have the motor running continuously for the particular model of air-cleaner I have to work properly. So...

Issue with Goodman GMP series gmp 050-3 [ 18 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I have an issue with my furnace. It just recently started happening, when running the ac the unit gets to the set temperature and then the unit clicks as if where going off and clicks again and keeps running. I looked inside and didn't see the status light blink.. Any help here?

Goodman Heater issue [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I have GMP075-3 model of a Goodman gas furnace. The heater would make the sounds that it was beginning to work. I could see the ignitor light but then nothing else would happen. The repair guy came and said the Burner roll-out limit was somehow tripped the other day. Possibly from a down...

Goodman Furnace Issue - Heater won't work, no fire [ 1 Answers ]

My Goodman heater won't fire up. When I turn the heat on, the sequence of events: 1) Small fan at top section turns on. 2) Heating element turns on, bright red. The system sounds like it is trying to turn on. 3) Then the bright red goes off. The fire does not light. The fan does not start 4)...

View more questions Search