Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kosho Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2008, 10:32 AM
    3 phase to 1 phase
    I have a machine.. it is pump.. it works on 3 phase.. 2 horse power is the m/c... but I only have single phase at home.. how can I connect it as the power is small enough to work on 2 phase?
    Thanks
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 12:51 PM
    I've had success with phase conversion devices such as Phase-A-Matic Rotary & Static Phase Converters on machine tools. An AC drive such as FM50 Series Sub-micro AC Drive may be another option. For either solution contact the manufacturer for design and sizing assistance for your particular application.
    danar Posts: 69, Reputation: 2

Dec 28, 2008, 01:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    I've had success with phase conversion devices such as Phase-A-Matic Rotary & Static Phase Converters on machine tools. An AC drive such as FM50 Series Sub-micro AC Drive may be another option. For either solution contact the manufacturer for design and sizing assistance for your particular application.
    check the price of the above mentioned phase converter it migth be more cheaper buying a single phase 2hp motor or trade-in your old 3ph motor with single phase motor.
    danar Posts: 69, Reputation: 2

Dec 31, 2008, 12:23 AM

have heard about the steinmetz circuit? Try this it might work.

SINGLE PHASE SUPPLY TO RUN 3PH MOTOR

Operation of three-phase Motors in single-phase supply Induction motors with a three-phase stator winding can either be driven from a three-phase supply or from a single-phase supply when suitably connected with a capacitor (Steinmetz circuit). A three-phase induction motor with its stator connected in star for a 380V three-phase supply has 220V as phase voltage. The motor can therefore also run on a 220V threephase supply when delta connected. If the motor is designed for 125/220V then its phase voltage is only 125V and the motor must be connected in star for a three-phase supply of 220V. The Steinmetz circuit gives similar characteristics to three phase operation but with a single-phase supply.The motor runs as a three-phase machine, if the capacitor voltage causes a symmetrical voltage star at the rotor windings as with a three-phase supply. A symmetrical voltage distribution can however only be obtained with a certain capacitor at a certain load. For all other loads an asymmetrical voltage star is formed at the rotor, so that the
    motor can no longer operate under optimum conditions. The starting torque is reduced and the heat
    generation in the motor can become higher at no load than at full load.
    Experience has shown that with a voltage supply of 220V, a capacitance of 70 mF/kW of motor power is necessary in order to give a starting torque of 30% of rated torque and in operation about 80% of the rated three-phase power.
    In order to obtain a higher starting torque, a starting capacitor with about double the capacitance must be connected in parallel. This must be switched off during run up to avoid overloading the motor. The direction of rotation can be reversed by connecting the capacitor to the other supply connection. The voltage across the capacitor terminals in the “Steinmetz” circuits is, at the rated power of the motor, about the value of the supply voltage, and under no load about 15% higher. If the “open star circuit” should be used for a special application please state this when ordering in order that the correct capacitor can be supplied. This circuit can be used when 125/220V three-phase motors are to operated from a 220V single-phase supply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you usually connect three single phase loads to a three phase generator? [ 2 Answers ]

How do you usually connect three single phase loads to a three phase electric generator?:)

How to go from 200Amps/208V/3 phase to 600Amps/480V/3 phase [ 2 Answers ]

I am starting a business and have equipment that requires 600Amps/480V/3 phase, but the site I want to rent has only 200Amps/208V/3 phase. Is there anything I can do to get the required power on that site? Any equipment I can buy to achieve this goal? I understand it may be costly. Thank you.

Detail explanation of eletrical between 3 phase and single phase [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I do confuse between 3 phase and single phase,may I get some detail and comparison for each of them?

Changing out 3-phase motor for single Phase [ 1 Answers ]

Besides matching the mounts & drives, are there wiring/switching issues changing out a 220-3phase for 220-S-Phase. I am interested in switching motors in a commercial diswasher.

How am I going to size my 3 phase X'mer with 1 phase load using current as reference [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm Peping: I have 90 pieces of single phase loads with current of 2 Amperes. This will be loaded to a 3 phase transformer, Wye connected having a line to line voltage of 220 Volts. What will be the size of the transformer required for the mentioned loads? Many thanks, Peping

View more questions Search