Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 10:01 AM

My bet is that replacing the sensor will work.
    paulkramer Posts: 181, Reputation: 2

Dec 23, 2008, 11:24 AM

Mine too, that's why I ordered it!

It's already shipped, should arrive Friday or Saturday, just in time for our predicted tropical heat wave - up to 50 on Saturday!

May not sound like much to a Texan, but it's been in the single digits and teens lately, with a lot of snow.

At least it will be warm enough for me to replace the sensor.
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 11:32 AM

You have to love the internet. Outfits like RockAuto.com have really shaken-up the auto parts world. Breaks in the weather are really important in the winter for us DIYers.

Dec 23, 2008, 11:35 AM

No doubt - after being initially upset that my Honda had a problem, I was more upset that it manifested in the month of December!

Thank God for the warm weekend - I thought I was done DIYing for the season.

And, of course, I love the internet and what it's done to increase competition and spread knowledge.

But I'll miss my local auto parts store buddies if they ever go out of business - and they appear to be fighting for their lives...
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 11:36 AM

Are you using synthetics in the engine and transmission?

Dec 23, 2008, 11:52 AM

You betcha - Mobil 1 5W-20 in the summer, 0W-20 in the winter, Amsoil MTF year 'round.

I still get the 2nd gear grind, even after Acura replaced the synchros. But it's better than it was with Honda MTF.
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 11:57 AM

Perfect! You have to love Amsoil's MTF in these cars--what a difference, especially in winter.

Dec 23, 2008, 11:58 AM

Oh, for a moment there I thought you were going to say otherwise!

Hoping this car lasts ~ 500K or so miles, LOL!
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 12:01 PM

No. Using synthetics is the key to trouble-free engines and transmissions. It also helps prevent problems with emission control systems.

Dec 23, 2008, 12:07 PM

Yes, I thought so too. But I doubt this K-series transmission will be trouble-free, sadly. I don't know what happened when Honda designed it, even Civic Si owners have issues with it almost ten years after it was introduced.
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 12:12 PM

Amsoil's MTF protects the synchros much better than other oils. Many other fluids don't adequately safeguard the soft yellow metals in the synchros.

Dec 23, 2008, 01:52 PM

I had my transmission apart a year ago, at ~ 70K miles, to install a limited slip differential.

A buddy with mechanic experience (student) examined it and proclaimed it the cleanest used transmission he's ever seen.

I frequently think differently when driving it, especially in cold weather.

Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 02:38 PM

Beautiful pictures! You've got to love how clean synthetic oil keeps everything. You could eat off that.

Dec 23, 2008, 03:01 PM

Thanks - yes, pretty clean, but as special as Amsoil is, I wouldn't want to ingest any of it!
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 03:09 PM

I use the Amsoil and PureOne premium oil filters in my 16 year old Civic, along with Mobil 1 or Amsoil engine oil. Cam still meets new engine specs. The A/C compressor, distributor housing, and ECM have been the only major components to fail. Half axles have been repacked with new boots.

Dec 23, 2008, 06:33 PM

Now that's what I like to hear!

How many miles on said Civic!

I almost bought a Civic, sometimes wish I did, the RSX has some issues. I've already replaced the starter and TCT tensioner (grinding noise on startup, turned out to be the starter but the tensioner was DIRTY), had the trans serviced under the 2nd gear grind TSB, replaced the driver door power lock actuator, the climate control transistor (died last spring, prevented ANY air from flowing through the HVAC), replaced the moonroof panel because of the rusty frame (very common problem, even on new RSXs). I think a couple of other problems that escape me at the moment.

Had I not bought the RSX, I might have not been bitten by the mod bug, which has sucked up a considerable amount of my income. After installing three or four sets of lowering springs, I am back to OEM + Koni Sports! Michigan is no place for lowering springs. Some of the other mods resulted in some unnecessary aggravation, such as the inverted tie rod ends that started to crumble after a few months, resulting in a horrid banging noise that took a lot of time and aggravation to finally find and resolve.

All in all, I love the car, although driving this transmission in the winter requires considerable patience and babying.
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 07:13 PM

Almost 125,000 miles. Most of the mileage goes on our 2000 Taurus these days. My wife used to drive a '94 Accord EX but traded it at 80,000 miles.

Dec 23, 2008, 07:35 PM

That's not much at all, LOL. My brother drives my '98 Intrigue with ~ 260K miles on it. Original 3800 engine, albeit with a new upper intake manifold. Thought the car was a junker when it hydrolocked after the TB coolant bypass passage cracked. Shadetree African mechanic saved that car for me. It's on its third or fourth transmission though. I used Mobil 1 in that car too.

2000 Taurus! Still on the road! How many transmissions has it been through? You apparently don't rack up too many miles too quickly on your vehicles.
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 07:38 PM

The Taurus just turned over 100,000 miles today. Original transmission--always used Amsoil or Mobil 1 ATF.

Dec 23, 2008, 07:51 PM

Congrats - my wife had a late 90's Taurus, she didn't maintain it very carefully, to put it mildly.

That trans only made it to 90-something.

I pretty much insisted that her next car be a Honda or Toyota. She chose the latter, 2003 Corolla. No substantive problems other than the notorious (among Corolla owners) serpentine tensioner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car audio unlocking code for honda accord 2000-2002 [ 11 Answers ]

I need unlocking code for my honda audio system with s/n880229794

2002 XL Honda Odyssey code for radio [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. I purchased a used Honda Odyssey a few months ago. Well, I had the radio on while I was outside and didn't notice that the side mirror defrost button was on. Needless to say, it wasn't long before my battery was completely dead.:eek: So I read my manual and apparently I need to punch...

Unlocking Code Of Honda 2002 Car Stereo [ 1 Answers ]

Want to unlock Honda Sedan 2002 Car Stereo with S/N.: 10047106 AND MODEL NOS.: 39100-S84-A300

2002 Jeep Grd Cherokee 4.0 liter engine code. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2002 Jeep Grd Cherokee 4.0 liter. I keep getting codes: PO442 Evaporative Emission Control Leak Detected (Small Leak) & PO455 same as above but Gross Leak. Dealer keeps telling me it's a bad gas cap but after the third one I think I need to go to a different dealer. Does anyone know what...

View more questions Search