Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    larry browning Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Furnace ran out of fuel; air in system
    I ran out of fuel oil and had the local fuel oil co. bring a delivery; now I think I have air in the inlet feed of my line to the furnace; how do I bleed this unit, it is a intertherm mac 1280 series unit
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 08:18 AM

You will need some type of container (coffee can works well) and a piece of small tubing (a straw will work in a pinch). Locate the purge nipple on the fuel pump - usually resembles an automotive brake bleeder fitting. Put a wrench on the fitting, followed by the straw, with the container in place to catch the fuel. Start the burner and open the nipple to allow air to escape - you may have to reset the primary control a few times, but continue until a solid stream of fuel comes out. Close nipple between purge attempts if primary control locks out. Once purged the burner should fire. If it does not, the nozzle and/or fuel filter may be fouled and will require professional servicing.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Dec 23, 2008, 10:24 AM

FYI, by letting your tank run dry, you run the risk of sucking up sediment and plugging things.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 12:07 PM
    If you ran out of fuel it is always best to change the filter also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fuel pump system [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2002 Hyundia accent gl 1.6 4cyl. It turns but won't start. I replaced the fuel pump, but it seems its not getting any electrical juice. I test it before I installed it and it work fine. Is it a sensor or.

No fire to fuel system 87 cherokee [ 1 Answers ]

I have no fire to fuel system on 87 jeep cherokee new relay and pump

99 f-250 7.3 getting fuel in the cooling system [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a 99 f 250 with 200K miles on it and it is starting to get fuel into the cooling system, no other problems or symptoms, I noticed it a few weeks back, it was only a few ounces at first but I am starting to see more. I have drained the system and replaced the coolant. Any ideas?

03 Honda Odyssey Fuel System [ 1 Answers ]

While driving the Odyssey it acts like it's not getting fuel consistently. RPM's fluctuate and it feels sluggish. It seems to be worse at 30-45 mph. It has 69000+ miles on it. Could it be something as simple as the fuel filter or needing fuel cleaner or something more serious. This grandma is on a...

View more questions Search