Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tasiag92582 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2008, 07:15 AM
    Kenmore Dryer will not heat?
    I have a Kenmore 70 Series electric dryer that will not heat. I have tried the basic troubleshooting (i.e. checking household fuses, selecting different cycles, cleaning vents) and still the dryer will not heat, it only blows cold air! Any suggestions?
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Dec 23, 2008, 07:26 AM

Could be the heating element - mine broke after the wife put sneakers in it. Lol
    VIII2368 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Dec 23, 2008, 05:50 PM
    You should also check the safety thermostats at the element casing. Could also be the switch at the motor.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 08:23 PM

Tasiag92582 - StaticFX has a pretty good idea asa to the problem; ABOUT 85% of the time it ends up the heater coil being bad ;
    Do you have a VOLT_OHM meter? IF you don't ,go to Lowe's or home depot and in the electrical dept . Get you one , they are not very expensive at all , get one that you can test things up to and includeing 250 VOLTS ;;
    TO TEST the heater coil for grounding and to see if the coil is good ; SET the meter on RX1 scale;; Pull the plug out of wall receptical:: NOW YOUEER SAFE :: REMOVE
    The back panel and set aside ;; #1- To test the heater coil - REMOVE THE WIRES FROM THE TERMINALS ON IT PLACE THE METER PROBS INTO THE TERMINALS OF THE HEATER < IF THE METER READS ( TO 20 OHMS ) THE HEATER IS GOOD IF IT READS HIGH IT IS DEFECTIVE _ REPLACE, IF OK REPLACE WIRES :: #2- now lets test the heater for grounding - DISCONNECT ITS WIRES< Meter still set to RX1 scale :: INSERT ONE OF THE METER PROBS INTO ( OR CLIP) ONE OF THE HEATER TERMINALS AND THE OTHER PROB
    TOUCH IT TO THE OUT SIDE OF THE HEATER DUCT: IF THE READING IS HIGH <HEATER IS GOOD <IF THE NEEDLE SWINGS TOWARD THE LOW END OF THE SCALE <THE HEATER IS GROUNDED:: REPLACE :: #3- to test the overheat protector - DISCONNECT ONE OF THE WIRES TO IT ,clip one of the meter probs to one of the terminals :: IF METER READS " ZERO " OHMS THE PROTECTOR IS GOOD IF METER READING IS HIGH IT IS DEFECTIVE REPLACE:: IF THE PROTECTOR HAS THREE TERMINALS THEN USE THE TWO OUTSIDE TERMINALS TO TEST IT ::#4- TO TEST the THERMOSTAT: DISCONNECT BOTH WIRES, CLIP THE METER PROBS TO BOTH TERMINALS WHERE WIRES COME OFF <TURN THERMOSTAT TO ANY SETTING EXCEPT FLUFF DRY< IF METER READS " ZERO " IT IS GOOD <IF IT READS HIGH <IT IS DEFECTIVE :REPLACE:: #5- to test the start switch ;; DISCONNECT BOTH WIRES< CLIP METER PROBS TO THE TERMINALS, PRESS THE SWITCH BUTTON <IF METER READS " ZERO " SWITCH IS GOOD< IF IT READS HIGH IT IS DEFECTIVE : REPLACE # 6- TO TEST THE TIMER _ DISCONNECT ONE OF THE WIRES TO IT < CLIP BOTH METER PROBS TO THE TERMINALS , TURN
    TIMER KNOB TO NORMAL DRY< IF METER READS " ZERO " THE SWITCH IS GOOD IF IT READS HIGH IT IS DEFECTIVE : REPLACE
    I hope this helps and you get it fixed ;; Don't for get to hook up all the wires you took off ; replace them ; IF you have any more trouble just holler:: I WANT TO WISH YOU AND YOURS A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A SAFE NEW YEAR:: FGOD BLESS : F.B.E.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Dryer Won't Heat [ 1 Answers ]

My Kenmore dryer (about 1995 very basic model) won't heat - still tumbles, but no heat. I took the back off the dryer, looking for the fuse, but couldn't find it - any suggestions?

My Kenmore Dryer won't heat up? [ 2 Answers ]

Model 11086874100 Does anyone know what the most likely problem is? I was told it's generally the thermostat.? Thanks.

View more questions Search