Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimbo999 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2008, 10:45 PM
    Prenup in Common Law vs Community Property State
    I am planning on getting married and want to do a prenuptial agreement. We haven’t totally decided where to live but it would be in either Washington or Oregon. With respect to a prenuptial and preserving what assets I have before marriage in the event of divorce, would it be more advantageous to be married and live in Oregon (common law) or Washington (community property). My preference is actually Washington. Would a properly executed prenuptial agreement be just as strong in Washington as in Oregon? Or would the difference be negligible.

Thank you
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2008, 11:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo999 View Post
    I am planning on getting married and want to do a prenuptial agreement. We haven’t totally decided where to live but it would be in either Washington or Oregon. With respect to a prenuptial and preserving what assets I have before marriage in the event of divorce, would it be more advantageous to be married and live in Oregon (common law) or Washington (community property). My preference is actually Washington. Would a properly executed prenuptial agreement be just as strong in Washington as in Oregon? Or would the difference be negligible.

Thank you
    Well, I don't know if you know it, but in community property states like California and Washington, property you own before marriage remains your separate property as a matter of law--you don't need a prenuptial for that (but I know people make that part of a prenup all the time). Your property doesn't become magically converted to community property just because you get married.

To my knowledge all states recognize premarital agreements but differ only in the formalities associated with putting them together. If you want to alter your property rights before marriage, that's fine and as a general rule you can pick what aspects of the law you like and want and those you don't but be careful since some states have certain formalities (for example, in California you cannot waive spousal support unless the party against whom the waiver is sought was represented by an attorney in the prenup negotiation).

I doubt very much it matters which state you live in after marriage. But it would not be a bad idea to put a venue clause in the prenup stating which law will apply to the interpretation and application of the agreement in the event of divorce.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CA State Tax and Community Property [ 1 Answers ]

I resided in CA and owned a house (already sold) until 1995. I currently work overseas but intend to return to CA in the future. I have continued filing CA state tax as non-resident since 1997. I last visited CA in 2004. I receive interest income from CA banks and other non-state banks. The bank...

Checking Accounts in a community property state [ 2 Answers ]

Here is a question for you. I live in Washington state which is a community property state. My spouse has a checking account that I am not a signer on. I do not have an account and do not work, because I am a stay at home mom. We are leaning towards divorce, and he has complete control of the...

Community Property when filing joint state return [ 1 Answers ]

I am filing CA state return and a little confused with Community Property Laws and when these apply. I am filing a joint return with my spouse and she is not CA resident (but I am) but lives in another community property state. Does it mean that 50% of her income is still CA taxable because of the...

Question on community property state [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, The state in question is Texas. My father and mothers name is on the house deed. Recently, my father died. The house passes to my mother I think. My father had some credit card debt. The creditors are saying that they can take the house? I thought that they couldn't take the house...

View more questions Search