Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Dec 22, 2008, 10:41 PM
    Dedicated Laundry Circuit
    I have read that I need a dedicated "laundry circuit” to power the washer/dryer. My question is my dryer already has its own dedicated 120/240V 30AMP circuit; can I still power the regular 120V outlet behind the dryer on the same circuit and is that within code? The washer runs at 10 amps and I would only use the other outlet occasionally for a small appliance. Oh, and naturally it would be a 20 amp circuit.

Thanks if you want more info or pictures just let me know.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 02:13 AM
    The dedicated laundry circuit refers to a clothes washer. Not really following your question, do you want to connect your washer outlet to the dryer circuit?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by codyman144 View Post
    I have read that I need a dedicated "laundry circuit” to power the washer/dryer. My question is my dryer already has its own dedicated 120/240V 30AMP circuit; can I still power the regular 120V outlet behind the dryer on the same circuit and is that within code? The washer runs at 10 amps and I would only use the other outlet occasionally for a small appliance. Oh, and naturally it would be a 20 amp circuit.

Thanks if you want more info or pictures just let me know.
    Absolutely not.

1) The washer's receptacle and circuit MUST be 20A, it cannot be 30A. If you power it from the dryer's circuit it will be on a 30A circuit.

2) The dryers receptacle MUST be on a 30A circuit, and not a 20A.

Dec 23, 2008, 06:21 AM

Sorry I must have phrased that wrong. I am not trying to use the 20 amp with the 30 amp or vice versa. I mean there is another separate outlet behind the dryer, standard dupex type. I want to wire that and the washer outlet together on the same 20 amp line.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 09:13 AM
    Oooohhh. Then you are fine. As long as that circuit is isolated to that one laundry area you can have as many receptacles on it as you need.

Dec 23, 2008, 10:14 AM

Why thank you sir!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 10:19 AM

Mmmm:

Stan:

Hypothetically speaking, would you wire for 20 A washer and 30 A dryer even if the dryer would be gas in a new construction setup?

And just change the plugs/breakers to match 20 A for the dryer as well?

The newer washers (front loader) want a 20A dedicated circuit. I haven't checked the new dryer manuals.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine Dedicated Circuit or not? [ 3 Answers ]

Right now my washing machine (clothes) is not on a dedicated circuit but is on the same circuit as several outlets and some lights (It’s a 20 AMP circuit). I am going to rewire all of this because it is old work with no grounding conductor and not safe (especially in the basement). What I have...

Is dedicated circuit for garbage disposal mandatory? [ 8 Answers ]

I have two questions: 1) does a garbage disposal need a separate circuit? 2) if it does not, can it share the same 20 amp circuit with the dishwasher?

Trace a dedicated electrical circuit [ 3 Answers ]

Here it is! I have a time clock at work for the emplyees which is getting power from an outlet. I want to make sure the clock is not sharing power with other outlets I want to find out without shutting power off to time clock (unpluggint it) Thank you DAN:

Dedicated People [ 2 Answers ]

When some people join a group, they stay in it for a while. Then suddenly they stop meeting with the group, and people hear nothing else from them, unless they run into them on the street. And when they run into them that person makes an excuse, and say they will be back. But they don't come ever...

Dedicated circuit for refrigerator [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. My refrigerator is on a circuit that is protected by a GFCI. It is on the same circuit that protects the electrical around the kitchen sink. I would like to place it on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. The wall space behind the frig backs up to the plumbing for the bathroom shower and the...

View more questions Search