Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    handymanwant2b Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Shower floor grout and caulk replacement
    The tile in my shower is the same tile as was installed all other areas of my house. The tiles are 13"x13" and the grout seams are approximately 1/2" wide. The grout is a rough, sandy-type texture. After the tile installation and prior to use, grout sealer was applied on three separate occassions. The shower grout never completely drys between use.

The shower floor is not level from corner to corner as the floor dips to a gap of 1" or more at the each of the four wall's center points between the base of the wall tile and the floor tile.

The contractor used white silicone caulk to fill the space between the wall tiles and the floor tiles leaving an unusually large caulk seam (1" or more wide) at the four midpoints of the walls. Within only a few weeks of use, mold began forming within the caulk and was not accessible form the caulk's exterior nor removeable with any househould cleaner.

The shower floor does puddle water which eventually drains or evaporates.

I have removed all caulk between the floor and wall tiles.

Should I replace all grout within the shower floor and if so with what should I replace it?
    And with what should I fill the space between the walls and floors (grout or caulk)?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 22, 2008, 05:20 PM

To be honest with you I'd rip the whole floor out and do a better job of installing. Grout should never be 1/2", 1/4" is the norm for 12 or 13" tiles. Also, when tiles end close to a wall like yours does the first tile should be shifted half tile to either side so you don't end up with cracks 1/2" wide. I would also recommend a 2 part epoxy grout that cures like stone and never holds a stain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Caulk it or grout it in the shower [ 12 Answers ]

Do you caulk the bottom of the tiles where it meets the shower pan or tub? Or do you use grout?

Caulk or grout first for tiles on shower walls [ 9 Answers ]

Hi guys... I'm back finishing the shower. I fell off a ladder but I'm better now. I was wondering whether it was better to caulk everything in the shower first and then grout the tiles. Seems it would keep the grout out of the joints I don't want grout in. I would wait for the caulk to cure before...

Caulk and grout in shower [ 1 Answers ]

I recently replaced some tiles on my shower floor and walls. I scraped out as much grout (it didn't look like caulk) as I could at the wall joints and the floor/wall joints, but didn't get most of it out. Then I put sanded grout in the joints and over the old grout, but after doing further reading...

Grout, caulk or both in all tile shower stall [ 4 Answers ]

The caulk in my upstairs shower stall is looking nasty where the tile wall meets the tile floor- I removed most of the old caulk and am now running into grout- it's basically in good shape, just want it to look good and stay that way- question- should I regrout as well as recaulk- any suggestions...

Caulk vs. Grout in the shower [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I have a shower with tile on both the walls and floor. It is a natural stone type tile. The grout (at least I think it is grout) at the joint where the wall tile meets the floor tile has turned black with mold and/or mildew and I need to replace it. I think the cause is inadequate...

View more questions Search