Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sdcruiser Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2009, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Do not expect to get 20 years of trouble free service out of any of the new ones since that will never happen. I guarantee you will be spending some big $$$ if you buy a variable speed blower on any unit after the warrenty is over. While the DC conversion has merit the true long range cost/energy savings are bogus.
    Yes, I'm reading another thread here about 2-stage vs modulating and my head is spinning. I might just do what it takes to keep this 82% carrier running for awhile lol. So does that slight "leak" at the sides of my burners look like a problem in the pic. I guess I could try squeezing the sheet metal together there slightly to see if I can reduce it.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 05:17 PM
    The burners have a built in flame jumper circuit to allow the pilot to lite off the closest burner then the flame travels to the other burners to lite them off from there. The side burn you are talking about does not look to severe. If you choose to try and close them down it might cause more problems than leaving them alone. Keep your eyes on Ebay. Every once in a while someone puts a new set up for auction and they go cheap. I know I do not have any in my personal stock in my old warehouse in the industrial park from years ago. Most of the stuff left there is for ammonia refrigeration and come to think of it I should probably unload that stuff and give my tenant the rest of the cage space. That stuff has been sitting there for 15 years. LOL

If you try to crimp them down easy does it since the metal is old and well tempered if you know what I mean.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2009, 05:51 PM

The unit in the pic looks pretty good for 21 years old. Must be the mild winters and not being exposed to road salt.:p
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 05:52 PM

Goodman two stage is an awesome furnace. One of, if not thee highest effiency ratings, and lower priced than most competitors. Not at all problem matic(as long as installed correctly). Doesn't have the variable draft inducer. You could almost buy one of these goodmans for the price of one variable motor.

Jan 1, 2009, 05:54 PM
    Yes but the Goodman has one of those funny all in one gas valves that do not work unless you play with the wires. LOL
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 05:57 PM

Only been doing goodmans for about four years, but haven't had one single problem with gas valve or wiring.
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2009, 06:09 PM

The truth is hidden in the name. Go to wordsmith.org, click on "internet anagram server", type in goodman, click on "get anagrams". Pretty funny stuff. "Evander Holyfield" gets you "lived holy 'n' fed ear". Brett Favre? "Beer fart TV". :D
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 06:20 PM

Is that kind of like saying :you buy a rheem, your going to get reemed. I got a payne and oh what a pain it is. Can't stop a train, its just getting it to start that's hard. Carrier. Im sick of hauling this thing around. Lennox, well, lets just say it sounds like a drug that should come with the unit to keep you from going crazy.
    Goodman. Yep, you're a Good Man for having the sense to buy me.

Jan 1, 2009, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    The unit in the pic looks pretty good for 21 years old. Must be the mild winters and not being exposed to road salt.:p
    Yeah I hated when my dad made me knock the slush off our furnace in Cleveland!

Oh I ran it another two times with no issues. Thanks
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2009, 06:31 PM

It's more like, "O G O D A M N".
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 06:37 PM

As in O GOD DAMN this is an awesome furnace?
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2009, 06:40 PM

As they say, "beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"... maybe we should do the wordsmith to some other brands...

Jan 1, 2009, 06:40 PM
    Actually the Goodmans we have tested over the years have all been OK with the exception of the heat X rings that would pop a few years ago. The most important factor with any equiptment is the quality of the install. You can take the most expensive equipment and turn it to junk with a bad install.
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 06:46 PM

Exactly right hvac. All new furnaces are pretty much the same(some do tend to overkill in design with no noticeable increase in function, just makes them harder to trouble shoot.) Install is key.
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2009, 06:54 PM

Okay, "Lennox heat" can also be "hotel annex", as in you might end up in one when it breaks down. Or, "He lent an ox", to haul it away, I imagine...
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 07:07 PM

Yep Lennox sucks.LOL
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Jan 1, 2009, 07:16 PM
    Is that flexible gas line legal in your area? In Indiana it is a no-no.

Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    Can't stop a train, its just getting it to start thats hard.
    Now that's funny!

Jan 1, 2009, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkwithaK View Post
    Is that flexible gas line legal in your area? In Indiana it is a no-no.

Now that's funny!
    Yes they even use it on the water heater.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Jan 1, 2009, 07:40 PM

It is legal to use it on water heaters here but illegal to use in any situation where the line would pass through the cabinet, such as a furnace.
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2009, 07:41 PM

Indiana won't allow it due to all of the earthquakes... which... never happen in SoCal...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/c cycling too often [ 3 Answers ]

Just installd a honeywell thermostat (rth230b) it run until it reaches the set temp. then it shut off then it comes right back on within seconds. Please give some advice on what could be problem. Thanks

Well pressure and cycling [ 1 Answers ]

My well water pump recently started cycling way more often than it should. I can't even flush a toilet without the pump turning on. When it does turn on there is a sudden and brief interruption in water flow and a slight drain on electricity(lights dim for an instant). Switch cuts in at about 30...

Gas fce hourly cycling [ 5 Answers ]

I have an electronic thermostat by UPM/ Nova installed on a mid-efficiency Temp Star natural gas furnace. The filters are new and fce has had a tune-up in November. The furnace is cycling 5-6 times per hour even in night time set back temperatures. In checking the manual for the themostat, it...

Carrier Furnace cycling on and off [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Carrier 58DX-100-DC furnace that I have a problem with, The inducer motor will come on and run then the pilot will light and then the burner comes on and a couple minutes or less the blower comes on it will stay like this for about 2 or 3 minutes then the inducer motor stops and the gas...

Fan Keeps Cycling [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier central A/C and a Propane FAG furnace in my basement. The problem is that after the A/C or furnace has shut off, the fans continue to cycle off and on just as if the A/C or furnace was still running.:mad: Sometimes the fans (there is 2 of them, I believe) run continuously and...

View more questions Search