Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boranjmmt Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2008, 03:34 PM
    Entry door aluminum threshold
    I'm replacing a aluminum threshold. How do I remove the old one? There are no screws and the threshold ends run under the door frame. Do I need to remove the door casing?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 22, 2008, 05:14 PM

Does it have a vinyl seal that can be pryed out?

Dec 23, 2008, 09:30 AM
    Thanks for your response. The aluminum is covered with vinyl if that's what you mean. I'm wondering if I can cut it down the middle and remove each side that way.

Dec 23, 2008, 01:55 PM

Not sure we are talking about the same thing yet, I am asking if there is a rubber or vinyl seal inserted into a grooved track on the threshold right below the door, these seal are removable and there are usually screws under this seal.

Dec 23, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Roger that. I think we are talking about the same thing. The vinyl covers the aluminum threshold. I will try removing that and looking for screws. Thanks again.

Dec 23, 2008, 04:16 PM

Here's a picture ofwhat I am talking about. Crlaurence CRL Dark Bronze Saddle Threshold With Vinyl Cap 3-1/4" Wide 3/4" High - 36-1/2 in long | TH006DV36 Remove that gray rubber strip, in this picture.

Dec 23, 2008, 05:08 PM
    Thanks for the picture. We are not talking about the same kind of threshold. Mine is under a entry door and is adjustable. It is covered with a vinyl or rubber except for the adjustable strip. I can remove the adjustable strip but still can't see any screws for the vinyl covered threshold plate. I'll search online for a picture of what I'm looking at.

Dec 23, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Here is a picture that closely resembles what I'm working with:

Endura Outswing Threshold - Mill Style Finish : Door-Thresholds.com!, Your Door Threshold Superstore

The only difference is my aluminum is covered with some kind of rubber or vinyl.
    Thx

Dec 23, 2008, 06:10 PM

If you have phillips screws in a wooden strip remove the screws, they are adjustment screws and will come out. Once the screws are out the wodden strip should come right out and attaching screws may be found underneath.

Dec 23, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Thanks. I removed the strip but found only the holes for the strip screws.

Dec 23, 2008, 06:27 PM

Hard to tell because of the print size but it looks like this may be just caulked into place. http://www.enduraproducts.com/docs-l...st-5_19_06.pdf
    bc555 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2010, 09:48 AM
    I've never used adjustable thresholds but on an aluminum threshold sometimes there is a vinyl piece that is held in grooves hiding mounting screws. Otherwise the threshold is part of a pre-hung door frame and would not think to remove it, in that scienero the seal of the door is at the bottom of the door itself (fairly modern door arrangement). If the seal at the bottom of the door is bad, replace that, or if can't find exact replacement you may have to cut the bottom of the door for a different type (measure thickness of seal minus small amount), frame holding vinyll seal wraps around bottom and held one side with screws. Vinyl door not too keen on those, remove hinge pins and look at it, if can be cut/modified and not ruin door.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2010, 02:49 PM

bc555

This post is almost a year old. I would think work is done by now. Please try to stay within 1 month of original post.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing an adjustable door threshold [ 21 Answers ]

I'm getting ready to install an adjustable door threshold in a basement on a concrete slab. This is what the threshold looks like: Find Adjustable Sill Inswing, 36" and other Door Thresholds & Sweeps at Aubuchon Hardware It's a standard threshold that you see a lot these days. However, I will be...

New Exterior Door Threshold [ 8 Answers ]

We have a door entering our basement from the exterior of the house. A threshold was never installed and as such, there is a gap, approximately 3/4" between the floor and the bottom of the door that is allowing bugs to enter the home (not to mention the cold pretty soon). Of course I'd like to...

Entry door height [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to find the code for entry door height-residential in Washington and Oregon. Does anyone know or know of a site I can ask, I tried building code sites but I couldn't find an answer.

Keyless Entry Garage Door Reset [ 1 Answers ]

I have somehow scrambled my keyless entry garage entry code. How do I reset it?

View more questions Search