Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dadweg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2008, 12:52 PM
    10hp briggs straton set for 2yrs and won't fire
    Have a generater with 10hp briggs straton engine has set for 2yrs will not fire cleand and set magneto still no spark
    mikedem7 Posts: 104, Reputation: 13

Dec 22, 2008, 08:22 PM

Check points. Make sure the points are not grounding out and they are clean.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 10:35 AM

Hi,
    Doubt you have points unless it is a very old engine(not stated) but generator do come with an Oil Minder. That is a float switch that grounds out the ignition if the oil level is below safe level. Make sure that oil level is appropriate. See that in my area all the time if an ice storm happens to hit, years apart around here.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Dec 23, 2008, 11:01 AM
    If it had gas in it when you last used it you will probably need to clean the carb.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

18.5 hp Briggs and Straton [ 4 Answers ]

I have a lawn mower with an 18.5 thatstarts but blows gas up through the carb. It runs but not good.

Briggs 10HP surges while running [ 2 Answers ]

My Coleman 5000 generator surges while it runs and won't settle down to its operating RPM. I replaced the carb and it worked well one time and the next time I started it the surging is back. The repair shop tells me it is the carb, can it be anything else?

Why won't my 12HP Briggs Mower Fire? It has Fuel. [ 1 Answers ]

Why won't my 12HP briggs mower fire, it has fuel, it ran for twenty minutes, blew out white smoke and stalled, it has done this twice

Why won't my 12HP Briggs Mower Fire? It has Fuel. [ 1 Answers ]

Why won't my 12HP briggs mower fire, it has fuel, it ran for twenty minutes, blew out white smoke and stalled, it has done this twice

Briggs 18hp won't fire [ 7 Answers ]

Have an 18hp Briggs Twin that quit and would not start. After detecting a weak spark, replaced plugs and coil. Ran great for two weeks, now week spark again on new coil. Only get strong spark when one coil wire is grounded. Then the other gives strong spark. Could the starter be turning too...

View more questions Search