Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stvgor Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Remove windows xp
    Hi, I have an old Gateway 2000 tower given to me by a family member. They tried to upgrade with windows xp but didin't have the proper product key for it. I would like to know how I remove that xp so I can install xp that I have ? I can only get the thing to start in safe mode because the windows version needs to be redgistered. When I put my xp disk in and try to install it I get a message saying that the installed version is newer then the one I try to load. And that theold one needs to be removed first. But dosen't give any steps on doing that . Any suggestions .
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Dec 22, 2008, 11:35 AM

Did you try just using the KEY from the copy you have?

Dec 22, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Yeah it tells me incorrect product code
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Dec 22, 2008, 12:22 PM

Do you mind wiping it clean? (meaning erase everything?)

If so,

Boot to the XP disc you have. (you need to go into the bios to change the boot order to be the CD first)
    It will load up the xp install.. select new installation.
    Delete the partitions...
    Create new partition...
    Then proceed with the install.

Let me know if you need more info
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 22, 2008, 01:06 PM

You need to boot to the CD you have and do a Clean install. If the product code you have is currently installed on an other PC then what you are doing is illegal. If it came with another CD, it may also be illegal.

Dec 22, 2008, 01:24 PM
    No its not installed already I bought it to upgrade a different PC then the motherboard fried

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remove windows media player [ 9 Answers ]

Can any onetell me how to remove windows media player 9 as a default player.and keep I tunes 8 as a default player.

Cannot remove can't find RVHOST.exe in windows start up [ 1 Answers ]

I can't find rvhostp.exe in msconfig. How to remove "Windows cannot find 'RVHOST.exe."Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click search." in windows start up?

How to remove glass block windows [ 1 Answers ]

I have three windows that are glass blocks. They seem to have an aluminum frame around the entire window. I want to replace them with a picture window in the middle and double hungs on each side. Is it possible to knock out the glass block without taking out the aluminum frame?? I'd like to do...

View more questions Search