Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    worriedmommy Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2008, 08:26 AM
    My sons hand
    My son was born with two fingers on his left hand. The doctors do not know what to do and I have to travel to Denver to get tests done on him. Does anyone have advice to help ease my mind? I do not want to have to take his toes to put on his hands. He has his thumb and his pinky.
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Dec 22, 2008, 11:11 AM

Why would they have to do anything? I guarantee he will do fine. I have seen plenty of people with less, or highly deformed hands and do just fine writing, driving, etc... He will learn to do things much easier than you think. Is his right hand normal?

Why would they take his toes off? Would a toe actually grow out to be a finger?

Dec 22, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by StaticFX View Post
    why would they have to do anything? I guarantee he will do fine. I have seen plenty of people with less, or highly deformed hands and do just fine writing, driving, etc.... He will learn to do things much easier than you think. Is his right hand normal?

why would they take his toes off? would a toe actually grow out to be a finger?
    It is my husbands idea, he is worried that people will make fun of him. He also said that they might have to take his toes. I just want some insight it is hard enough in this day an age, but it is my husbands first child and he is worried sick about this
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2008, 01:22 PM

No need to take toes. He will do fine with the two fingers he has. Removal of toes creates issues with walking and balance. Start him with ocupational therapy as soon as possible
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Dec 22, 2008, 01:25 PM

worriedmommy... it wouldn't matter if he was perfect. He could still get made fun of for something ;)
    I went to school with a kid that had deformed fingers... and he was one of the popular kids!
    I could understand your husbands feelings.. I would feel upset as well.. but in reality, I wouldn't change a thing. You son will do just fine :)
    mikedem7 Posts: 104, Reputation: 13

Dec 22, 2008, 08:16 PM

Your son will be fine. Just give him love and let him keep his toes.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 22, 2008, 08:40 PM

Tests aren't needed unless there's a serious medical reason. Keep his toes where they are and leave his hand alone. He will do just fine and will never miss what he doesn't have.

My son is autistic and never got picked on by kids in school. Another student had Tourette's Syndrome and would shout out in class spontaneously and his arms and body would occasionally jerk around especially when he got excited. Nobody thought twice about it. This was from Pre-K through high school. These two kids knew they were worthwhile persons and projected that kind of confidence.

Every child has something "wrong" with him -- has terrible enamel on teeth or is too short or is too tall or has a birthmark or is chubby or gets middle ear infections or has red hair or is shy or is giggly or bites his nails or is too smart for his own good -- all those things parents might think are problems. Note -- the parents have problems accepting sometimes, but the kids don't if the "disabled" child explains the problem and removes all the mystery. (Kids are curious, but not mean.)

I remember one little girl named Jan who had bright red hair in a sea of brown-haired kids in her Lutheran school pre-K class. She stood out like a sore thumb. One little boy asked her where she got her hair, and she answered, "From God." Everyone was in awe of Jan and her glorious hair. Years later, that boy married her.

Love your son as the valuable person he is and treat him like any other child you have. Kids are very adaptable and also very accepting of each other.

Dec 29, 2008, 07:51 AM
    I do look past his hand, it is my husband. Every time we try to talk about it we fight. I want to keep his toes and I do not want him to ever think that something is wrong with him, because he is perfect just like God wanted him, but I hate to fight with my husband and he does not listen to what I have to say, his way or no way, I don't want to put any more hardship on our marriage because I don't think it can handle it. [
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 29, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by worriedmommy View Post
    I do look past his hand, it is my husband. every time we try to talk about it we fight. I want to keep his toes and I do not want him to ever think that something is wrong with him, because he is perfect just like God wanted him, but I hate to fight with my husband and he does not listen to what I have to say, his way or no way, I don't want to put any more hardship on our marriage because I don't think it can handle it. [
    Empathize with your husband and let him grieve, because that is what he needs to do. He wanted a perfect son with all toes and fingers, but he got a son who is less than perfect. Your husband sees only that and wants to fix his son, to make him perfect so that strangers won't stare and people won't make fun. Your husband needs love and understanding right now. Grieve with him about how things don't always turn out as expected, but also encourage him that your son will have many talents and abilities that will make both of you proud.

If you do go to Dallas, I'm guessing that doctor, or any other doctor, would discourage removing toes to replace missing fingers. Like someone else said, then there will be balance and walking problems. And perhaps meeting with a family counselor will help the two of you understand each other's point of view?

I wish you and your family the best resolution to this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My sons father is everything BUT that. [ 1 Answers ]

My son is 9 months old and I decided before he was born not to be with his father. He was there for the birth and spent the first 2-3 weeks coming to visit our son about 2 times a week. Then it started getting less and less and to this date he has only seen him about 15-20 times. He told me he...

Changing my sons' last name [ 1 Answers ]

I have custody of my 2 sons. My husband has taken care of them and supported them for 2 years. I need to find out if I can change there last name to mine. In my divorce papers from their father, it says I have the right to make all the decisions. Does that include changing their names?

About my sons [ 1 Answers ]

My questions are these why is it that my 8 mth old son isn't walking yet and why my 3 year old hasn't boo boo in the potty yet

Air handler horizontal left hand or right hand? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference in a horizontal left hand or horizontal right hand application as far as an air handler? Also, which end would be the return and/or supply? The "a" coil is at one end and the blower motor is at the other end. Thanks

Changing my sons last name [ 3 Answers ]

My son is now 7 months old and his father abandoned us right before christmas I was wondering I need to change his last name back to mine and not his looser fathers do I need a lawer to do that because he will not sign the papers or can I do it by myself

View more questions Search