Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    03Avalanche Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2008, 12:36 AM
    Dealership/mehcanic to blame?
    I just had my '03 Avalanche in the shop for a 'tune up' after a cold snap because the truck would not start and the electrical system seemed 'off' (clock would be wrong every time we started it). I informed them that we had a command start unit put in one month ago, and they said that if the dealership did not install it, then it is probably the problem. We intend on having it removed soon. They did a tune up and all the fluid changes, then gave me a bill for $1909.66. I paid the bill, picked up the truck, and proceeded to break down on the side of the highway the next day. I was going up an incline, the truck shifted down to keep the speed, there was a noise, then a sudden loss of power. No power increase when accelerator was depressed, flashing 'check engine' light, battery charge indicator at 1/4. Pulled to the side, put on flashers and battery died 5 minutes later. Had it towed to dealership (same one) where they said that my battery had died and that the new battery that they had to put in had fixed the problem (plus charged me another $145). They told me the mechanic that worked on my truck the first time had checked the battery, but had forgotten to note it on the work order (?! ), and that the initial tune up work order had no mention of electrical problems or battery problems, even though I specifically informed the service advisor that that is what I brought it in for. 3 days later, the signal lights, when indicating a left turn, go into flasher mode.
    Q- What can I do about all of this? Do I have any right to request my $ back? Should I just cut my losses and find a private mechanic?
    It is now 4 days before Christmas, we are out $2000 dollars, and we still have a vehicle that we cannot depend on. Please help.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2008, 09:23 AM

The 03 Avalanche does not have a history of electrical problems according to the reference I use.
    Maybe the command start was improperly installed or maybe it needs reset because of battery replacement. The dealer will use it as an excuse anyhow, because it was not installed by an authorized GM agent. Have it removed if you can live without it. It is the most likely cause of problems I believe.
    It appears that the dealer overcharged you. If they weren't checking electrical problems, what did they do? I would at least write to them with a copy to the factory rep. Fluid changes shouldn't be more than $ 150 even at dealer rates.

Dec 22, 2008, 11:22 AM

Thank you for your help. We will be going into the dealership today to talk/argue with the automotive supervisor. Now I have more info to deal more effectively with them. Thank you.
    Ber Rabbit Posts: 134, Reputation: 23

Dec 22, 2008, 12:19 PM

Do not argue. Approaching the Service Manager or the General Manager (if the Service Manager can't help) in a calm friendly way will get you much farther than charging in like a jerk and demanding things. Ask for what you want, don't demand. Be willing to accept a compromise. A good dealer will work with you to keep a regular customer happy. If you are a customer who has non-warranty work done there (oil changes, etc) they are much more likely to work something out with you because they want to retain you as a customer. When a customer only comes in for warranty work and never spends another dime at the dealership and then screams "Gimme, gimme!" when something isn't quite right... well, they may be happy to lose you as a customer.

You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Use the power of nice to get what you want ;-)
    Ber
    ddollinger Posts: 145, Reputation: 12

Dec 22, 2008, 01:26 PM

I agree with all above but don't even attempt to get your money refunded, that will get you nowhere. I would be very curious as to what was performed to create a $1,900+ repair bill. There is no way a tune-up should have cost that amount. They are also right about the aftermarket install on the command start unit, whether it is the issue or not it will be used as the blame, as well as an aftermarket alarm system, after market stereo system, etc. etc. etc... I do know that after cutting into factory wiring harnesses to install those units have been known to cause problems down the road. If it was professionally installed I would take it to them and see if they will look at it and see if that is what is causing the issues.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2008, 03:06 PM

I really like the way Ber Rabbit explained it. That was spot on! Very good way of putting it.
    Also, CaptainRich has a phase "Aggressively discuss" (I think) with the service director. That says it all too!
    You should get something in return for this inconvenience you have gone through.
    Please feel free to show us your invoice on what was performed for your pricey service. It will help explain.
    Best of luck, Happy Holidays.

Dec 22, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Thank you all for your comments and insights. As an update, we just returned from meeting with the service dept supervisor, where we were calm and polite, and informed him of our ongoing problems with the truck since its 'repair'. He said that since the tune up that was performed on the truck was just that... a tune up... some things were not included. He emphasized that the battery was indeed checked during that time and was found to be in good working order, so when we broke down the next day his department could not be held responsible for the battery because the testing showed that it was indeed working while in the shop. As for the tune up and fluid flush, he said that we received the services and that they had nothing to do with the breaking down problem. We again mentioned that the truck was brought in specifically for issues of electrical irregularities and was told by the service consultant that a tune up was in order. He offered to have the truck brought in again for an electrical diagnostic - no charge - to find the problem, and he would only charge us if they were to find a problem that they did not cause. In addition to the tune up and flushes, we also paid for a new coolant case, power steering leak, and fuel filter. We were assertive in our dissatisfaction of how we had expected our vehicle to be dependable after being serviced and then find that it was not so, but he replied that the issue was not with what they had or had not done to the vehicle. NOW: we will have the truck back in for the diagnostics, and since the writing of the original post, we are now having issues with the left indicator light flashing both ways when we indicate a left turn. Lets see if they catch this!
    Thanks again for all your help. And Merry Christmas.
    PS - Just so you know, we live in Alberta Canada (don't think I had posted that)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dealership fruad [ 4 Answers ]

Can a dealership cancel my contract for them not wanting to waste any more money on fixing the car within the 30 day warranty? When I purchased the car I didn't test drive it and took it home but it had some problems so I took it back the next day. :confused:

Dealership for Floreston in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, If any one could help me with my question, it would be greatly appreciated. My fiberglass shower drain is leaking and I have pulled out rubber donut seal(2pcs)out and tried to find a replacement part, however non of stores I went has stock for it. This original rubber seal has "...

Can a Car Dealership Take Your Land? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I'm writing on behalf of my father in law. He signed to purchase a used car from a local dealership for $8,100. After defaulting on payments the dealership repossessed the car and we've found out that my father in law signed over the title to his land worth $80,000. My father in law...

Our Dealership [ 1 Answers ]

When my husband and I arrived at an automobile dealership to Pick up our car, we were told the keys had been locked in it. We went to the service department and found a mechanic working Feverishly to unlock the drivers side door. As I watched from The passenger side, I instinctively tried...

Has anyone owned a car dealership? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. We have some land in the city on the highway. We were thinking about buying and selling cars. We know there is a lot of work involved. I was just curious if anybody out there has done this before and how did it turn out. Not sure if this is the right place for this post. :D

View more questions Search