Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777 View Post
    He had a Divine mission which he completed. The mission was His Kingdom, the Catholic Church. No surprise to a Catholic,

JoeT
    Joe, Just to edify in the love of Jesus Christ... It is God's Kingdom with the children of God to be heirs.

He did fulfill the Will of God, and the mission was to convert each of us to children of God. Then acceptable to be heir of adoption. When baptized and made one with the Spirit, and Christ Jesus, we are not born of any type of earthly flesh, and that includes the churches. (John 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. )

Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Should anyone choose to follow the gospel bases on anything other then Christ as their Salvation, it is of corruption because it came by man. Scripture was inspiried by God, and is the flesh of Christ (not of this world)

But the fact remains that Christ tells us in the Gospel that we have one Advocate (the Holy Spirit) with us, that we may not sin: and the Holy Spirit tells us in the Epistle that we have another Advocate (Jesus Christ the righteous One) with the Father, if we do sin. So that all is foreknown, foreseen, and provided for; and nothing can forfeit this wondrous gift of God. Nor will God ever recall His gift, or take from us that spirit, which He implanted in us, His sons, when He thus sealed us as His children.

~a child of God

refer:
    Matthew 3:18 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 01:10 PM
    All of which seems as if it came right out of the box! The emphasis of Scripture on 'One' Church, One faith, One baptism, and being One with Christ
    JoeT

Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism

There is one body(Christ), and one Spirit(Holy Spirit), even as ye are called in one hope (salvation) of your calling ( to answer in confessiong of Faith)

One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sndbay View Post
    Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism

There is one body(Christ), and one Spirit(Holy Spirit), even as ye are called in one hope (salvation) of your calling ( to answer in confessiong of Faith)

One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Agreed.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoue View Post
    What, pray tell, was Barnabas, then? (Oops, I just prayed to you. Naughty Akoue!) Acts 14.14 tells us unambiguously that he was an apostle. Would you have a problem being associated with Barnabas? How about Timothy? Scripture says that he too was an apostle.
    I have been through this going through all the conspiracy theories of this person being an apostle, or another, but one again, I don't plan to do the "20 questions" game. By the way, Acts 14:14 is commonly translated as

Acts 14:14
    14 Which when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out,
    KJV

Thus showing that Barnabas was being discussed, but not being called an apostle.

Ultimately, unless you are trying to prove that God made a mistake in the in the Bible, to try to go and on trying to prove beyond hope that there is yet another Apostle in the Bible serves no purpose.
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    14 Which when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out,
    KJV

Thus showing that Barnabas was being discussed, but not being called an apostle.
    You’ve got to be kidding!
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 07:37 PM
    You've got to be kidding!
    I feel the same about your position. But the number twelve means twelve, not 13, 14, or thousands.
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 07:38 PM
    KJV

Ultimately, unless you are trying to prove that God made a mistake in the in the Bible, to try to go and on trying to prove beyond hope that there is yet another Apostle in the Bible serves no purpose.

Every one of these translations say that both Barnabas and Paul are Apostles.

Acts 14:14 Douay-Rheims
    Which, when the apostles Barnabas and Paul had heard, rending their clothes, they leaped out among the people, crying,

Acts 14:14 (New International Version)
    14But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of this, they tore their clothes and rushed out into the crowd, shouting:

Acts 14:14 (New American Standard Bible)
    14But when (A)the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of it, they (B)tore their robes and rushed out into the crowd, crying out

Acts 14:14 (King James Version)
    14Which when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out,

Acts 14:14 (American Standard Version)
    14 But when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of it, they rent their garments, and sprang forth among the multitude, crying out

Acts 14:14 (Wycliffe New Testament)
    14 And when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard this [Which thing, when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard], they rent their coats; and they skipped out among the people, and cried [crying],

Shouldn't you explain yourself?

JoeT
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 07:39 PM
    Every one of these translations say that both Barnabas and Paul are Apostles.

Acts 14:14 Douay-Rheims
    Which, when the apostles Barnabas and Paul had heard, rending their clothes, they leaped out among the people, crying,

Acts 14:14 (New International Version)
    14But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of this, they tore their clothes and rushed out into the crowd, shouting:

Acts 14:14 (New American Standard Bible)
    14But when (A)the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of it, they (B)tore their robes and rushed out into the crowd, crying out

Acts 14:14 (King James Version)
    14Which when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out,

Acts 14:14 (American Standard Version)
    14 But when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of it, they rent their garments, and sprang forth among the multitude, crying out

Acts 14:14 (Wycliffe New Testament)
    14 And when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard this [Which thing, when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard], they rent their coats; and they skipped out among the people, and cried [crying],

Shouldn't you explain yourself?

JoeT
    Odd, But my copies of some of the versions that your posted read differently. Should YOU explain YOURSELF?

BTW, read the list that you gave - you may notice some disagree with you.

But nonetheless - 12 still means 12.
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 07:44 PM
    Odd, But my copies of some of the versions that your posted read differently. Should YOU explain YOURSELF?

BTW, read the list that you gave - you may notice some disagree with you.

But nonetheless - 12 still means 12.

Really?

JoeT
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 07:45 PM
    Really?

JoeT
    Yes - ask any elementary school student.

12 means 12.
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 08:13 PM
    How do we explain 4th century Doctors referring to Barnabas as Apostles?

Which when the Apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out, and saying, Sirs, why do ye these things? We also are men of like passions with you. (v. 14, 15.) St. Chrysostom, Homily 30 on the Acts of the Apostles

And how about the 3rd century Doctor referring to Barnabas as an Apostle?

…the Apostle Barnabas says, From the portion I have received I have done my diligence to send little by little to you; that along with your faith you may also have perfect knowledge. Fear and patience are then helpers of your faith; and our allies are long-suffering and temperance. Clement of Alexandria, The Stromata book II, 6

JoeT
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 08:31 PM
    How do we explain 4th century Doctors referring to Barnabas as Apostles?

Which when the Apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out, and saying, Sirs, why do ye these things? We also are men of like passions with you. (v. 14, 15.) St. Chrysostom, Homily 30 on the Acts of the Apostles

And how about the 3rd century Doctor referring to Barnabas as an Apostle?

…the Apostle Barnabas says, From the portion I have received I have done my diligence to send little by little to you; that along with your faith you may also have perfect knowledge. Fear and patience are then helpers of your faith; and our allies are long-suffering and temperance. Clement of Alexandria, The Stromata book II, 6
    I am abiding by scripture not the opinions of men.
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2009, 03:27 AM

May I intersect with the 12 being disciples. All 12 disciples followed one teacher, Jesus.

An apostle is a messenger which the 12 did become after their teaching with Jesus. The apostle is sent as a servant of the Lord.

In general: (2 Corinthians 8:23 Whether any do enquire of Titus, he is my partner and fellowhelper concerning you: or our brethren be enquired of, they are the messengers of the churches, and the glory of Christ. )
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2009, 09:17 AM
    I have been through this going through all the conspiracy theories of this person being an apostle, or another, but one again, I don't plan to do the "20 questions" game. By the way, Acts 14:14 is commonly translated as

KJV

I've seen you do this before (re: 2 Timothy and Eph.2): Confronted with explicit and unambiguous Scriptural evidence that the view you have advocated is mistaken you suddenly lose basic reading comprehension skills. The very translation you quote tells us that Barnabas and Paul are apostles who "rent their clothes" (this means that they tore their clothes) and "ran in among the people" (this means that they ran in among the people) shouting. If you aren't able to follow simple grammar then you probably need to try using a children's Bible. I'm not sure whether to feel embarrassed for you, or pity for you, or what, since I don't know whether you are feigning incomprehension or really just don't read well at all. If I hadn't seen you do this sort of thing when confronted with Scripture that just plainly shows that you are wrong, I'd be inclined to think that you aren't able to read well and would offer something in the vicinity of sympathy.

In the quote you give from the KJV the word "apostles" and the names "Barnabas" and "Paul" are appositives. This, once again, is just basic English grammar. I think I learned about appositives in junior high.

I can't see the point continuing a discussion with someone who either is functionally illiterate or finds it useful to feign functional illiteracy when he has been proven wrong, so I'm off this thread. I trust that anyone who reads this thread with an interest in the OP will be a sufficiently competent reader to decipher Acts 14.14 just fine on their own.

See you around, Joe.
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2009, 09:57 AM
    The very translation you quote tells us that Barnabas and Paul are apostles who "rent their clothes" (this means that they tore their clothes) and "ran in among the people" (this means that they ran in among the people) shouting.
    See you around, Joe.
    No, No, you’ve got that wrong; “rent their clothes" (means a periodic payment for the use of their clothing). I’m not going to comment on where Paul and Barnbas might have ran to after they “rented” their cloths. You reckon the shouting had to do with Renter’s Rights (you know-like tenant laws)?

I’ll be around. It was good to hear from you too. You’re always a sound voice in a cacophony.

JoeT
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2009, 11:48 AM
    I've seen you do this before (re: 2 Timothy and Eph.2): Confronted with explicit and unambiguous Scriptural evidence that the view you have advocated is mistaken you suddenly lose basic reading comprehension skills. The very translation you quote tells us that Barnabas and Paul are apostles who "rent their clothes" (this means that they tore their clothes) and "ran in among the people" (this means that they ran in among the people) shouting. If you aren't able to follow simple grammar then you probably need to try using a children's Bible. I'm not sure whether to feel embarassed for you, or pity for you, or what, since I don't know whether you are feigning incomprehension or really just don't read well at all.
    Akoue, it seems whenever we put forward a position and evidence that you cannot refute, you go into some form of negative attack on the person.

That is not a compelling argument.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 22, 2009, 12:15 PM
    >Thread Closed<
    As it's degenerating yet again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search