Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaffie kaye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2008, 09:07 PM
    I don't want a divorce
    My husband of 22 years wants his freedom.. and it is killing me.. he is 47 and I am 54.. we always had a good relationship.. but he has been working out of town for the last several years.. he said he doesn't know me.. well.. he is gone 6 day a week.. I have found some things which would suggest that he has seen someone else on the side.. but when confronted.. nothing happened.. I am now in therapy 3 hrs. aweek.. I self injure myself by cutting.. I just can't get through to him.. he won't answer questions.. verbaly and emotionaily abuses me.. says some really bad things to me and about me.. very disgusting.. I treat him very well.. for I love him.. I have been told I am bi-polar and manic depressive.. I just can't function.. cry all the time and lay in bed.. no engery and sad... he really wants this and I say no... what should I do
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2008, 09:20 PM

1. You can't make someone love you if they don't.
    2. Everything you said I don't see what it is you love about him.
    He belittles you and makes you feel bad so you have a one sided love for a man that treats you like dirt.
    3. Some guys don't love women who are weak and cry and have no energy. So maybe you need to try and project a more positive, assertive self assured image. You cut yourself and that alone probably makes him feel like he is not in a good relationship. Most likely he is comparing you to the other woman and if you are weak and dysfunctional it has to be that he sees better qualities in her.
    Ladyviper Posts: 221, Reputation: 36

Dec 21, 2008, 09:21 PM

Regardless if you want the divorce or not, you cannot hold someone against their will. He is a grown man, if he no longer wants to be there he can simply leave. With or without the divorce, nothing will make him stay. The same thing happened to my parents almost 24 yrs into their marriage, life went on. It wasn't the same, but it went on. Sorry, but if he really doesn't want to be there, you can't do anything to change his mind. You just have to let go.

Really, why would you want to be with someone who verbally abuses you? Do you think hurting yourself is going to make him give you attention? It probably will, but not positive attention. You really just need to let go. I am sorry for what you are going through, but you can get through it.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Dec 26, 2008, 11:49 AM

It's not wise to stick to someone who no longer has any feelings for you. You are entitled to half of marital property, his 401K or other retirement plan, social security benefits, etc. plus alimony.

I would travel the world if I were you.. be strong.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 27, 2008, 02:23 PM

Give him what he wants, and keep getting what you need. Good Luck with therapy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2008, 04:46 PM

It is not a matter of what you can do, if he wants a divorce, he will leave, and he will file for divorce.

There is no way you can stop it, you can slow it up by fighting in court, unless he gives you all you ask for.

Time to get a very good divorce attoreny and fight and get all the money and property you can get.

Emotionally, go to counseling and work with it, You can always live without someone and get over them

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing 4 divorce but reconcile then divorce @ a later time - dividing the property [ 18 Answers ]

I never heard of this before but my friend filed for divorce in 89 but reconciled a few months later. Flash forward 20 yrs & she decides to divorce him again. She went back for the kids & tried to make it work. However, when she went 4 this divorce she was told that they could divide the property...

I want a divorce [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am new this site; I have been married 2 years today is my anniversary; my spouse is military; He use to be a loving and neutering person while dating; anyhow He has become extremely cold and distant long before He deployed 7 months into our relationship; more and more different on every...

Should I Divorce? [ 7 Answers ]

I've been married for 10 yrs now. We have a 9 year old daughter. The marriage has been topsy turvy to say the least, but we've stuck it out to this point. However, my wife (and daughter) have been gone for the last year and a half taking care of her "ill" parents. I've basically been laft alone to...

Divorce law [ 1 Answers ]

I filed for divorce on September 9 2007 and their was no response from my wife so the court issued a uncontested divorce on December 13 2007 so what happens now I am from Ohio do I have to give my wife anything. Thank you J eff

View more questions Search