Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    echarbonneau Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Murray snowblower won't start.
    I have a murray snowblower with electric starter. The starter is moving but not engaging with the blower. What can I do?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 01:04 PM

A little vague "the starter is moving" Does this mean the starter is making a spinning sound and the starter wheel won't engage the flywheel "the blower" Is your battery fully charged ? The little wheel slides on a shaft and the starter motor spins that shaft so it rises and catches your fly wheel to spin the motor to start.
    Basic starter problems.
    1. Not enough current for the stater to work and spin fast enough to engage flywheel or helper spring for starter wheel is worn out.
    2. Ground for starter is bad and or battery cable to starter is loose or also bad connection
    3. Starter teethed are worn and slips past the teeth of the flywheel.
    4. The flywheel wheel teeth are also worn.
    5. The starter bolts are loose or its out of alignment to mesh starter wheel to flywheel and shims fell out if used on installed starter.
    6. The Bendix on starter is bad and the motor is pulling too much battery juice and makes battery seem low on charge.
    7. shaft for the little wheel is gummed up or corded and the wheel won't rise on the shaft high enough to engage flywheel teeth.
    8. Solenoid for starter is faulty or bad connections on solenoid
    Listed are the basic problems you can have for starters Check the battery charge and all connections and go from there. If you feel you need to get a new starter take it off the old one lay it on the ground. Put foot on starter to hold it down. Ground the starter and tap the hot side of the correct volt and see if the starter spins and little wheel goes to little window in housing. If this works its only a partial test It can seem good but under load it could be week. This seems like a lot of explanations for what you asked but I tried to cover all areas. Good Luck and Happy Holiday. See what you come up with and post back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ultra Murray Snowblower 8HP m-f2484020 [ 13 Answers ]

Hi I have a Ultra Murray snowblower Model # m-f2484020 8hp 24". I need a manual so I can get the belts to replace for the snowblower. Can you please help me, I just need the measurement or the part number for the belts.

SnowBlower will not start [ 5 Answers ]

Craftsman snow blower, model #536884822 will not start. First time in 12 years. Have replaced spark plug, gas, used fuel start spary on carb and still no start. Help!

10Hp Murray snowblower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new 10Hp murray snowblower that I purchased last year from homedepot. What type of oil do I use. I know that it is NOT mixed with gas.

View more questions Search