Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KFrankie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Loud upstairs neighbors and a land lord who refuses to confront them.
    Hi from NY,

These people moved in above me about a year or 2 ago. They have 2 kids, about 3-4 years old. Constantly, they run around and pound on the floor like crazy. The furniture in my apartment shakes. I wonder if they are throwing bowling balls. In fact, there are several people in the building complaining about them. These kids run in the hallways, bang on doors and run in the driveway. I have to live below them.

I've been up there twice maybe 3 in the past year. They have no carpeting and the parents, barely speaking English, say the kids can do what ever they want.

I've told the land lord. So did some other tendants. He said he'll do something about it. Never did.

What, if any, are my options? What could I tell a lawyer? I have been approached by fellow tenants that if I needed them as a witness, they will be more than happy to help.
    Can I have them or the building have the ceiling sound proofed?

Thanks for your time and help!
    Ace High Posts: 191, Reputation: 22

Dec 21, 2008, 11:21 AM

Have you thought about moving?? I don't think that it is in any way illegal to have noisy kids. -- Ace
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KFrankie View Post
    Hi from NY,

These people moved in above me about a year or 2 ago. They have 2 kids, about 3-4 years old. Constantly, they run around and pound on the floor like crazy. The furniture in my apartment shakes. I wonder if they are throwing bowling balls. In fact, there are several people in the building complaining about them. These kids run in the hallways, bang on doors and run in the driveway. I have to live below them.

I've been up there twice maybe 3 in the past year. They have no carpeting and the parents, barely speaking English, say the the kids can do what ever they want.

I've told the land lord. So did some other tendants. He said he'll do something about it. Never did.

What, if any, are my options? What could I tell a lawyer? I have been approached by fellow tenants that if I needed them as a witness, they will be more than happy to help.
    Can I have them or the building have the ceiling sound proofed?

Thanks for your time and help!

You really have no option other than to pressure the landlord to evict them or you could move.

I don't see a Lawyer getting involved other than a letter to the landlord breaking the lease because of the conditions or a letter to the tenants telling them to be quiet - but that will probably only make it worse. If it gets bad enough you could call the Police but they "usually" hate these tenant disputes.

No, the landlord cannot be forced to soundproof anything nor can the tenant.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 21, 2008, 11:53 AM

Ok, what are they doing illegal to make a landlord evict ?

If they are making noice past normal day time hours, you can call the police, and may try calling the police but if the kids are merely being kids, two young kids will be noisy. A landlord can not discriminate against families.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 05:20 PM

I'd try calling the police, if it was only you (directly below them I assume) that was annoyed you'd have to deal with it but if they bother multiple tennants call the police and file a complaint, after a few complaints they might move to avoid being hassled.

This happened to me, someone across the hall used to run a daycare out of their apartment and the hallway was used as a playroom. After 2-3 complaints they stopped and moved out at the end of their first year of lease.
    KFrankie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2008, 05:51 PM
    I think getting the police involved is most likely the right thing to do in the near future.
    Sometimes it happens after 11pm and on rare occasions, I hear screaming. There could be abuse but I'm not getting involved.
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2008, 06:37 PM
    I think getting the police involved is most likely the right thing to do in the near future.
    Sometimes it happens after 11pm and on rare occasions, I hear screaming. There could be abuse but I'm not getting involved.

You don't have to get involved - if you believe someone is being abused you call the Police. Let them sort it out.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2008, 05:00 AM

The screaming and calling the police does not always work. In Florida the police would ask the caller if they SAW any abuse. If the caller said they could only hear the screams with no one outside hitting/striking a child causing the screaming, they refused to come. Just screaming is not good enough for some police departments so don't be surprised if they don't come to see what the ruckus is about.

Unfortunately having obnoxious kids isn't against the law.
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Unfortunately having obnoxious kids isn't against the law.

Falling on the floor! (I'm surprised the obnoxious kids are creating havoc at home. Aren't most of them shopping these days, usually in the same store I happen to be in.)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2008, 08:18 AM
    These people moved in above me about a year or 2 ago. They have 2 kids, about 3-4 years old. Constantly, they run around and pound on the floor like crazy....... What, if any, are my options?
    Hello K:

Your options are to move...

If you wished to live in an adult community, you could have chosen to do so. You didn't. You also chose to live in a building where the management isn't responsive to YOUR needs. That again, was something YOU chose to do.

Therefore, in my view, these children have as much right to LIVE and PLAY in their apartment, as YOU do in yours. Yes, they're noisy. Hard wood floors make it even more so. But, that's not their fault.

Screaming equals abuse?? You got to be kidding me! 3 and 4 year olds scream at least twice a day - even if they're told to eat their veggies.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2008, 01:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Falling on the floor! (I'm surprised the obnoxious kids are creating havoc at home. Aren't most of them shopping these days, usually in the same store I happen to be in.)
    Those little so and so's follow me around WalMart all the time! Had 3 obnoxious teens in front of me Saturday that would have won the obnoxious award hands down. Who needs 3 and 4 year olds when you have 15 and 16 year olds instead? If I were their mother I would have divorced them years ago or left them on daddy's doorstep and RAN!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Land lord increasing rent with no written agreement [ 3 Answers ]

My landlord is obviously selling her property. Wev'e been renting 3 yrs, and our lease is up. We pay month to month. The landlord increased our rent without wriiten notification. She told us with verbal notification. We didn't know what to do so we paid the increase but think we should this month....

Trying to find land lord of the home next to us [ 8 Answers ]

Can someone please give me some ides of where to look for the landlords number to the house next to me, I have tried to look in property appraisers in the county where we live, the name that comes up is not in the phone book, these people that moved in are underage, and there is all kinds of...

My land lord [ 2 Answers ]

M landlord has got a eviction letter on the property in which I'm living with my two kids and partner ,from county court , because he didn't pay his mortgage on time from last 6 months and I'm renting his property, so kindly tell me what I should do ? And where to go? And for more information my...

My land lord wants to end my lease n kik me out [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my land lord told me I have 60 days to leave the house he said I broke the lease Win I did not cut the bushes I live her for 12 years I cut the grass 3 moths a go he went N cut a lot of bushes and trees what out asking me the size he cut is 175ft long by 50 ft wide Now he wants me to cut...

Land lord entry [ 3 Answers ]

Recently I went away for a month and I spent a lot of time worring that the landlord would enter my apartment well I was gone (it happened with a preveous land lord) I was just wondering if she could do that because I was not there for her to give any notice to if she wanted to enter the apartment...

View more questions Search