Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inquirer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2003, 10:02 AM
    AIDS - first reaction
    What is the first reaction when somebody finds out they are HIV+? Do they go through any counseling?
    Do they start taking medicine right away or do they wait until they start having some symptoms?
    Are the partners (expartners) contacted and notified of the problem they might have?
    amrut24 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 04:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inquirer
    What is the first reaction when somebody finds out they are HIV+? Do they go thru any counseling?
    Do they start taking medicine right away or do they wait until they start having some symptoms?
    Are the partners (expartners) contacted and notified of the problem they might have?
    Well when the blood is collected for diagnosis for presence or absence of HIV the policy is to do a PRETEST COUNSELLING where in you tell the patients about the modes of acquiring the disease , how the disease progress , how it is transmitted, what is the likely complications and what is the life expectancy with and without treatment.

Once the test results are out... the patient undergoes POST TEST COUNSELLING

1) if the result is positive... the person is counselled regarding the further tests that he needs to undergo to determine the severity of the disease like the CD4 count and VIRAL LOAD..
    He is given moral support and advised to start medicines if needed acc. To these reports . He is advised to stop any sexual relations wth others least he shd transmit the disease to others..
    He is also told that medicines cn contrl the disease but cannot cure it and that he has to take the medicines regularly and life long in order for them to be effective.
    2) if test is NEGATIVE... still the person undergoes counselling to stop high risk sexual behaviour. And if clinically there is a doubt about the result , then the test is repeated after 3 months to reconfirm that it is negative..

Medicines are started depending upon the CD4 count of the patients.

Also divulging your disease status is against the law hence none of your contacts are informed about it , unless you wish to inform it yourself
    jaxie Posts: 148, Reputation: 4

Apr 17, 2007, 07:00 PM
    Arm I don't know where you live but it is LAW HERE to inform partners if God Forbid a person is positive.
    KarenAK Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2009, 01:35 AM
    Usually a person is asymptomatic if they are only infected with the HIV... it is only when one develops an AIDS defining disease (certain types of infections or cancerous lesions like kaposi sarcoma) is a patient actually diagnosed as having AIDS.

The quicker one is diagnosed as being HIV+, the quicker they can be put on medication and much of the response to such medication will depend on CD4 T-cell counts and viral load.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 14, 2009, 04:44 AM
    6 year old thread closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Jiu-jutsu aids wrestling? [ 5 Answers ]

Boxers use martial arts training to enhance their abilities, but do wrestlers use Aikido, Judo, and Jiu-Jutsu to enhance their skills? Who has experience or material on this subject?

Do you know someone with HIV and AIDS [ 6 Answers ]

I have a long timed friend that had contacted the disease either through his fast acting, life of the party, and being just plain pretty and too many people wanted him in all the ways loose. I noticed women given him an eye because he could cook and draw and carries a nice package. Lately, I have...

Aids in Africa [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my name is Sarah Georgeson and I'm doing an essay on AIDS in Africa and was wondering if you could answer a couple questions about it that I can't find. How many people altogether in Africa have died from AIDS? What percentage of the African population are infected with AIDS? What...

Q about aids first diagonnas [ 1 Answers ]

Hi would you please just try to explain to me how am I suppose to know or to determine weather the rash I got is just a normal one because of the seesons changing and the dry weathr or its an aids Syndromes note a few mnth ago I interduced to a hot girl and lost control and start making out without...

View more questions Search