Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bryanna Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2006, 07:04 AM
    Early invitations...
    Okay, first let me say that our wedding is FAR from traditional. Classy, but all our own. My fiancé and I are having a destination wedding. The guest list consists of 30-32 people, who all happen to be family or part of the bridal party. My initial thought was to send out invitations now. They would be hand written by my mother (she has georgeous penmenship), and they would be about ten months early. I planned on sending them along with an itinerary showing prices of golf, spa, and rooms for the nights that we will not be paying, if our guests choose to stay (we will be paying for accommodations on the night of our wedding). My reasoning behind this is that there are several people that need time to save some money; some have childeren and need that "extra" time to plan, and some just need extra time to plan for time off. For instance, we have a friend who is in the service... he needs to be able to plan, right? At least that's what he told me. Anyway, two months or so before the actual event, I'd planned on sending a sort of "classy reminder" to somewhat take place of the initial invitation. My sister thinks that it's tacky and too early and that I should just send an itinerary followed by the invitations two months before. My fiancé and I don't agree with this for obvious reasons... "you're not invited yet, but just in case, here's what we will be doing". My mother is the harshest one of all! She flat out told me that this is tacky, wrong and if I want to look ridiculous that's my perogitive. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm a stickler for ettiquette, however, I find it sad that the only people who would judge me on this belong to my own family. Please help me with this!! I feel that I either need justification for the matter OR I need to be put in my place. Thank you for your help in advance.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2006, 07:16 AM
    How about a middle ground? Contact the guy in the service to give him advance notice... and send the formal invitations/itinerary/etc 3-4 months prior to the date rather than 2.

Would that make everyone happy?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 14, 2006, 07:22 AM
    I am one for maintaining etiquette unless its preposterous (and it sometimes is!) even though I am something of a rule breaker when it comes to weddings (our wedding was a potluck affair - very fun, very off the path LOL). There is a small, subtle assumption that people will plan vacations of sorts around your wedding and I am wondering how viable that really is? Many people are prepared to come to a wedding without additional incentive -- is that somehow different for your gang or is it the location doing that?

The workable compromise is to maintain the two month guideline on the formal invitiations (mostly because they serve as a good reminder) but include a short, sweet, casual note with the itinerary you are sending early stating "Your invitation will be arriving in ______ but I thought you would like an early heads-up on the big plans. Oh, by the way, here is what's possible for fun in the area. We thought you might be interested in." That way they understand that they really are invited and why they are getting the itinerary early. Or since its only 32 guests, make phone calls to everyone now letting them in on the date and ask if they would like information to help in making fun plans, sending only to those who express interest. I like that one best since you don't risk someone getting materials that makes them go "Huh??"

And lastly, a gentle reminder that it is YOUR day so take some of the family stuff with a grain of salt, or perhaps a pinch of jordan almonds, in this case? Congrats to you both!

Jul 14, 2006, 07:24 AM
    Good idea. What about the costs though? 90% of the people going are going to need an idea of how much they will need to save. I just don't like the idea of sending an itineraray before the actual invite.

Jul 14, 2006, 07:26 AM
    Thank you Val! Great advice!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Early to Mid '90s Sci-Fi [ 1 Answers ]

There was a show about an alien who looked like a human man and he had a companion giant eyeball looking creature who had a glassy reflective front and was constantly harassing the main character about hostility. What was this show?

Dog who vomits early AM [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Daschund who is 3 yrs old. He has had vomiting issues before and Vet said it was sour stomach when he does not eat, but in the last week he has woke up very early vomiting, yellowish stuff . I leave him outside and he is out for a few minutes. Then OK. It seems if he eats later in the...

Early Menopause? [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help me, I am 46yrs old, living in Spain, been having problems for 6months now with heavy periods, started in August last year, thought my insides were falling out! Big clots, this has now calmed down a lot, but periods now every 15 - 20 days, and much heavier. Have been to doctors...

Wedding Invitations [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question about a friend of mine's wedding invitations. She has family from all over the world and is sending invitations to all of them. Knowing that some of them will be unable to attend due lack of time, money, etc... she is going to have a web cam at her wedding. Now does she place...

View more questions Search