Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jspra1108 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2008, 03:26 AM
    Dual citizenship French/US. Mother French.Am I eligible and is my daughter eligible
    My mother was born in France, she had French and American Citizenship.. My sisters and I all have US citizenship. My mother put together all of the paperwork to make sure my sisters and I could have dual citizenship... My sisters all applied for dual French citizenship and received it 17 years ago through the NY consullate.. I never applied... Now I would like to apply... Am I still eligible with my mother's paperwork?. and if so.. does that mean my daughter can have dual citizenship as well? I know that I would need to go through the Chicago branch of the French Consullate since I was born in Michigan... My questions are: Am I still eligible?. Is my daughter eligible?. What steps do I need to go through?. The consullate in Chicago was not overly helpful when I inquired 17 years ago... :confused:
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Dec 21, 2008, 10:21 AM

If you are under 50 years of age, you are still eligible, but your child may not. Contact the consulate... prepare all the documents (copied & notarized), make a formal cover letter explain your situation, etc. and contact the consulate. Don't contact them when you have nothing in hand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I Eligible to have French passport ? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I was born in France and brought up there, I left after 6 years and went back to my country. Both my parents are foreigners, am I elegible to have the french passport. Defineltely I speak french as my mother tongue but wondering who shall I contact and if I there is a chance a can get...

Dual Citizenship for Son of French Mother Living in USA [ 4 Answers ]

I'm seeking insight on procedures to certify dual French and American citizenship. In the last five years I have sent two letters to the French Consulate General in Los Angeles (when I was living in Colorado) and one to the Chicago office about two years ago after temporarily moving to Ohio. I...

French mother was a war bride to American GI but now dead.Dual Citizenship? [ 1 Answers ]

My question has to do with my desire to apply for citizenship to France. I would have dual citizenship (USA and France). In previous posts the indications are by right of blood I can become a citizen because my mother was born and raised in France and she married my father, an American GI. They...

US born, French Father, want dual French Citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, If anyone can assist me. I am US born with a French father. I have called the French Consulate in Los Angeles (my closest one) and they weren't helpful at all. In fact, I was treated poorly. I am trying to find out the steps necessary in order to obtain dual US/French citizenship. My...

View more questions Search