Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homeowner 123 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Closet flange too small for drain pipe
    So I've been working on finished our basement, and am in process of putting the finishing touches on our bathroom. I have what I think is a 4 inch pvc drain for my toilet, and was hoping to install a 4 inch pvc inside flange on this drain pipe. The drain was cut off flush to the floor (none sticking out) and I recently tiled the floor of the bathroom. I purchased one 4 inch inside toilet flange at a big box store, and noticed the flange is slightly too small for the inside of the drain pipe. I thought, hmm, must be something wrong with this toilet flange, so I went to a competing big box store and purchased a different brand, 4 inch inside toilet flange, and the diameter of that flange as well wasn't tight inside the drain pipe. So, my my first question:

1. How is this drain pipe slightly larger than 4 inches, and what do I need to do to get this closet flange to fit tightly?

I was hoping to just seal the flange to the pipe with Oatey and not have to drill holes through my concrete or tile (just bolt toilet to flange), but I have feeling whatever the solution is, I'll have to drill holes to secure the flange to the floor. Does anyone have any good direction for me?

If I need to drill holes, I have a variable speed drill.

2. What type of bit and bolts do I need, and are there good procedures for drilling through slate without cracking it?
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2008, 11:30 PM

Is it 4" pipe? Is it pvc or is it abs black pipe? If it is black pipe, use the compression flange with the 3 allen screws. No drilling.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 28, 2008, 12:36 AM

The closet ring that fits inside pipe is a specialty item that not all Big Box Stores carry it. Go back and be more careful which one you select.

Don't worry, if you have PVC and ring is ABS, and vice versa. They sell glue that glues these two plastics together.

Even if you glue that ring inside the pipe, you still have to drill into the floor to secure it with at least four screws. Use Hammer drill and concrete drill bits. Bolts should be brass or stainless steel.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 28, 2008, 06:14 AM
    2. What type of bit and bolts do I need, and are there good procedures for drilling through slate without cracking it?
    There are several methods of attaching the flange. You may use Tapcons,(see image) or use a 1/4" masonry bit to drill the slate floorand use plastic inserts with wood screws t5o secure the flange. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Closet Flange in weird waste pipe [ 3 Answers ]

In the process of redoing basement bathroom (new tile, new sink, etc) and when I took off the toilet, the old closet bolts sheared off - nice and rusty. Those old bolts were put right into the concrete. I have everything cleaned up to put in a new closet flange (4" twist-n-set), but it turns out...

Brass Closet Flange for Metal Sewer Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new toilet and found that the existing closet flange was broken. I don't recall how the closet flange was installed and I'm not sure how to put in the new one. I have a 3" metal sewer pipe. The rim of the sewer pipe measures 5" and the actual opening measures 3". My plumbing...

Raise closet flange on cast iron pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new hardwood floor in my bathroom and a new wc. The waste line is cast iron. What is the simplest way to raise the flange the 3/4" (I think) to accommodate the new floor? Thanks Steve

Twist N Set Closet flange on 3" short sweep copper drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hi again, I'm trying to install a 3" Oatey Twist N Set closet flange on 3" short sweep copper drain pipe. The problem I'm having is that the Twist n Set is too long and cannot be inserted all the way due to the curvature of the copper pipe it is fitting into. Secondly, it seems the seal...

Offset closet flange, lead soil pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I've reviewed a bunch of questions/answers on this forum and have some ideas, but my problem is pretty specific, so I figured I'd describe it and hope for the best. (BTW, I'm totally impressed with the quality of responses on this forum!) Re-doing a half-bath, but did not plan ahead too well,...

View more questions Search